Hi all! We noticed some common questions about how fundraising works on GoFundMe. So we gathered a few to chat about. Let’s dive in.
How does crowdfunding work?
Crowdfunding is when donors give money to help a fundraiser reach its goal. But here’s the important part– you need to share your fundraiser in order for it to work.
How do I get my fundraiser noticed?
The most common way to get the word out about your GoFundMe is usually by sharing it on social media. Here’s a few easy tips that can go a long way:
– Do personal outreaches first It can be really helpful to spend some time and reach out to your close contacts first before sharing it with other people. Having even one or two donations before posting to social media helps build trust and shows momentum.
– Share more than just your link. When you do share on social media sites, remember to add context! Just sharing your link without telling people anything about it tends to not be as successful. Rather than just saying “please help”, try explaining about your cause and why it’s important to you.
Once my fundraiser is “live,” will strangers see it and donate?
Realistically, probably not. While sometimes people online might stumble across a fundraiser and give money to it, this is pretty unlikely if you haven’t shared and built initial momentum.
Most of the time, the donations you raise come from people you already know in your network of family and friends. Sometimes, a fundraiser will go “viral” by getting noticed in the press or by a public figure, but it’s fairly rare. That’s why it’s so important to share your fundraiser.
Can I raise donations anonymously?
We don’t really recommend it. It’s important for people to know who is running a fundraiser because donations usually come from people you know. We encourage mentioning these points in your story to help build trust:
– Who you are and what you’re raising money for
– How exactly the donations will be used
– How the donations will reach the person you’re raising money for
The most common reason we see for people wanting to raise anonymously is because they’re embarrassed to ask for help. But we’ve seen time and time again that people’s communities surprise them– people are rarely judging us as much as we fear! If you’re nervous, reaching out to close friends personally first can sometimes help it not feel like such a big jump.
How do I get my fundraiser featured on the homepage?
The fundraisers on the GoFundMe homepage are automatically selected based on how many people are sharing and viewing those fundraisers. For the best chance of appearing on the homepage, we encourage focusing on sharing your fundraiser with your personal network of family and friends to gain momentum.
What if I don’t use social media?
A lot of people feel lost about where to start if they don’t use social media. Don’t worry—there are still plenty of ways to share your fundraiser with your community.You can reach people through email, printing out flyers, or phone calls. If someone you know has social media, ask them to share your fundraiser with their network to bring more attention to your cause. Learn more about how to get noticed without social media.
Looking for more information? Check out these posts: