How are we supposed to get help from the community, when we have to ask 2 or 3 friends or family first?

• 11 November 2021
  • 3 replies

How are we supposed to get help from the community, when we have to ask 2 or 3 friends or family first? What if you don't have friends or family willing to help out, or can't help out? I thought that making a gofundme would automatically be seen by the community & that's how I'd get help? None of this makes any sense. Why do I have to post on social media to get help? Gofundme should be automatically linked to the community of your choice, I thought...

3 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +3

Hi @Jamie Abbe welcome, and we’re so sorry for any confusion. The GoFundMe community is primarily made of GoFundMe organizers like yourself. 

GoFundme is made up of individual fundraisers raising money for unique causes. With crowdfunding, most of the donations will come from people you know. To get donations from your network of friends and family, it’s important to share your cause with them first so they can help you spread the word. If you have a smaller network, the best way to spread the word to people you don't know is to ask the people you know to share. You can learn more about how GoFundMe works here: https://www.gofundme.com/c/how-it-works 

I hope this helps to clarify things a bit! 

Not really. Some of us don't have that luxury unfortunately. 

It seems almost like a misrepresentation because I think when people make gofundme's they think you can post it into their community, which should already be networked right here on your page. Just saying.

I understand clearly no one in my family helping us out he is running out of time

Join the discussion