How do I keep up momentum on my fundraiser?

• 20 November 2021
  • 1 reply

I made a page to help my friend.  His 4 year old son sustained 3 bullet wounds by strays on the southside of Chicago.  The gofundme has been shared 50 times and has raised about $2300 so far.  It has been two weeks.   While I'm grateful for this amount,  I know its barely a dent in the substantial medical bills already accrued and the upcoming fees for the oncoming extensive physical therapy.  I have been pushing on a weekly basis without trying to seem pushy or desperate,  but this IS a desperate situation, right?   I feel like the page has runs its course and the donations are coming to an end.  How do I keep this going?  Any advice would be appreciated.  Thank You!

1 reply

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

Hey @Robin Choi I’m so sorry to hear about what happened to your friend. These sorts of stories are always hard for me to comprehend. 

There’s a couple of things I might do here:

1.  People usually have a habit of donating to an organization once a month. Try to revisit donors after thirty days and ask them to consider using their charitable donation towards this cause for three months.  Let them know that they can be assured their money will go directly to helping a four year old recover. 

2. I would probably host some sort of event in the neighborhood to bring people together in the four year old’s name. You could do something against gun violence and share it around Facebook to see if people will come stand against gun violence, and while there, you can promote the fundraiser. Yes, this would take a lot of effort, but could help to bring people together around a wider cause. 

3. Reach out to local media to see if they will cover your fundraiser. 

Join the discussion