Feeling embarrassed to ask for help? You’re not alone.

• 12 January 2022
  • 324 replies
Feeling embarrassed to ask for help? You’re not alone.

Show first post

324 replies

It's hard for me to ask for help due to the fear of being rejected I am 37 years old and since I was young if I wanted something or needed to get something done I would go out and do it or get it myself asking for help has never been something easy for me to do I have attempted to set up a GoFundMe before when someone set fire to our apartment and we lost everything we owned and to be honest $10 was the only donation we received and that was my nephew that saved up his allowance to help us add it up for a couple weeks and since then I was kind of turned off when it comes to asking for help publicly and then I Google successful GoFundMe advice and a lot of stuff that I read was only adding to the doubt that my GoFundMe would be successful champs because it's not as heartfelt as little Susie having to have chemotherapy or covid 19 taking a loved one from me but in my heart me not having a car to get my mom back and forth to the doctors and other important appointments is just as important as everything else posted on this site but I recently decided to give it another try and overnight I had three donations already from complete strangers and when I woke up and seen that it made my heart feel good knowing that people actually took time out of they're busy schedules to donate towards something and someone that they don't know and aren't going to benefit from and that's awesome so I'm hoping that it keeps up at this pace and if not then it wasn't a complete loss asking for help and thank you to those that helped you truly are awesome people God bless you all.          https://gofund.me/799e33be

I've been so shy and embarrassed my whole life. Being brave and sharing my situation here was very hard. I hope people can help me because me and my family really need it. 

Sometimes you have to put your pride aside and ask for help when it gets so bad. I can’t stand it but it’s what i have to do for me and my son. :( sending love to everyone i wish i could help us all. 

Not only embarrassing sometimes there's no one to reach out to I was put in foster care at 4 and just put in touch with my actual family through FB granted they only stay 3 hrs away I've reached out there's no interest in helping or even meeting me or my 3 kids only real person I have is the mother of my kids and she's in it with me

I definitely feel embarrassed to ask for help I have always been like this. My car just got repossessed and I’ve been out of a job since March of last year I haven’t had any luck finding a new job. In order to get my car I have to pay 1735. My mom has already helped me enough and Don’t want to ask her for anymore help as she already done so much for me and my girls.I made one and shared with family and friends, but I scared to share on my page for everyone to see 

This is a really good topic. I absolutely have been fighting and trying to get on the “Courage Train”. No matter what I come up with, I am stuck. I do not have family and friends to run to. I do not have people I can ask for help from and I definitely don't know anyone that could cheer me on. How do you find help after trying for so long and trying your absolute best but failing and leaving you hopeless and tired? MY “GoFundMe” was made in a last attempt to not lose everything like I did last year. I went through an emergency hysterectomy on my own, back surgery on my own, the depression and other problems I've had during my life, on my own. I keep trying to do this on my own and have found myself so in debt and no means to pay my bills once again, but this time I do have a job starting in a week, but in the meantime, how do I keep the lights on? How do I pay my phone bill when its 2 months behind and is getting turned off? Let alone, how do I go to my doctors to get better so I can be the mother I used to be before Covid, surgeries, and losing everything last year where my daughter had to go live with her dad because I lost it all. I keep a smile on my face, and I try, but when you hear the problems I have, they are so small compared to everyone else that should give help way before me. To me, they feel like they have broken me after doing everything I could the past 2 year, but that is nothing compared to most of these stories. Heck, I would help everyone on here before me by reading the stories. So, when you have nowhere to post things, no friends, no family, and you are alone, what do you do when you've tried everything? I've tried selling art while finding another job, I've tried pawning everything to pay bills and I continue to try so that I can be on my feet and stay on my feet for the first time in over a year. What are you supposed to do? I am tired, I am exhausted, and I've done it all. I really actually have. I pray and pray and focus on my child and I'm here. What are you supposed to do when that courage is gone? If anyone reads this and has felt the same way, know you are not alone and even though I can't help financially I can listen and be there should you find yourself needing to talk to someone. 

Thank you all. God Bless.

http://gofund.me/1e237130

Definitely nervous about doin this so hopefully it goes well for me 🤞🏾(Fingers crossed) 

Not everyone has help from people close to them so it can be hard to get the word out. Just try to keep your mind as positive as you can. 

I felt pretty nervous about asking for rent and utility money after a major surgery. I decided to let go of the shame I felt and create a go fund me. I shared it with a few friends, posted to Facebook and Instagram, and reached my goal in an hour! I feel grateful and humbled by the generosity of my community. In my post, I was open and honest about what I needed and why I needed it. Generally humans want to help others in need, it’s a good feeling to be of service! So if you’re feeling any shame or anxiety about creating your own go fund me page, I suggest that you acknowledge those feelings and create the fundraiser anyway. Not only will you be helping yourself reach your goal, but you’ll be giving others the opportunity to love and support you. 

Yeah I really would hope to get more attention on my post.

I wish I could see your post, but I can’t figure out how to. Have you posted it to Instagram and Facebook? I also sent the link for mine to a couple of friends so they could post it as well. I hope you all the best in reaching your goal!!

Yes I’ve posted it to all socials 

I posted it to my Facebook page, isabell. I wish you the best 

Just started a GoFundMe to help out single mother’s with kids and I’m extremely nervous because I’m not sure what people are going to say 

Userlevel 1
Badge

I am not the type of person to ask for help at all but i have stage 3 brain cancer 4 round and iam unable to work a friend of mine told me that its okay to ask when you  really need it i still said no its not in my blood im a mom single of 3 kids under 12 and and so i broke my pride and finally made a gofundme account but i feel lower now that i have asked at this point im just ready to give up 

Right now I am struggling with purchasing a car because my car that I have right now is not reliable to drive. Every month it breaks down and I would have to put all of my money in to fix it. Just yesterday my car stopped working while I was driving on the road. I am a full time college student going for Early Childhood Education. I am a part time nanny to two wonderful school age kids which means I need to have a safe and reliable car. I’m honestly crying while typing this because I feel so embarrassed asking for help. Asking for help to my close family, friends, and to every human being. I feel so depressed and angry with myself because I feel like I’m the only one in the world that is constantly making mistakes. I live on my own and I try to pay for everything to be able to live under a warm place. I know no one has helped me financially through this amazing website and also in real life, but I would love some prayers from whoever reads this post. Please pray for me to overcome my depression and my anxiety. I’m trying my hardest to finish college, become a positive impact as a teacher, and to live a happy life in the future. 

I am not the type of person to ask for help at all but i have stage 3 brain cancer 4 round and iam unable to work a friend of mine told me that its okay to ask when you  really need it i still said no its not in my blood im a mom single of 3 kids under 12 and and so i broke my pride and finally made a gofundme account but i feel lower now that i have asked at this point im just ready to give up 

Please don’t give up. I struggle as well asking for help. I feel extremely embarrassed when asking for money from others. I don’t have the funds to help you, but I am going to pray for you everyday. God bless you and your family. 

I felt pretty nervous about asking for rent and utility money after a major surgery. I decided to let go of the shame I felt and create a go fund me. I shared it with a few friends, posted to Facebook and Instagram, and reached my goal in an hour! I feel grateful and humbled by the generosity of my community. In my post, I was open and honest about what I needed and why I needed it. Generally humans want to help others in need, it’s a good feeling to be of service! So if you’re feeling any shame or anxiety about creating your own go fund me page, I suggest that you acknowledge those feelings and create the fundraiser anyway. Not only will you be helping yourself reach your goal, but you’ll be giving others the opportunity to love and support you. 

I’m so happy that your family and friends helped you when you needed them. I honestly feel super embarrassed asking my close family, friends, and just people in general for help especially when it comes to money. I am really struggling financially and I no longer have a reliable car for transportation to college and work. I have so much anxiety and am super depressed at the moment. I feel lost and alone. I made a go fund me page but don’t have the courage to post on my social media. It’s hard for me...

I very embrass to ask people am going through mental health an in in a depression stage no one knows I am having a break down I have no one to talk to I'm alone I have no one and it hurts

Userlevel 1
Badge

Prayerw Right now I am struggling with purchasing a car because my car that I have right now is not reliable to drive. Every month it breaks down and I would have to put all of my money in to fix it. Just yesterday my car stopped working while I was driving on the road. I am a full time college student going for Early Childhood Education. I am a part time nanny to two wonderful school age kids which means I need to have a safe and reliable car. I’m honestly crying while typing this because I feel so embarrassed asking for help. Asking for help to my close family, friends, and to every human being. I feel so depressed and angry with myself because I feel like I’m the only one in the world that is constantly making mistakes. I live on my own and I try to pay for everything to be able to live under a warm place. I know no one has helped me financially through this amazing website and also in real life, but I would love some prayers from whoever reads this post. Please pray for me to overcome my depression and my anxiety. I’m trying my hardest to finish college, become a positive impact as a teacher, and to live a happy life in the future. 

Prayers love trust in god it will all make sense soon keep your head up I know its hard but you and god got this remember that 

This was truly helpful! I’ve felt very embarrassed and every emotion setting up my dads gofundme. And then I felt bad for my dad because he’s the type to never ask for anything. Thank u for this!

I'm trying so hard. My anxiety is really bad. I'm usually independent and I really backed myself into a corner. I feel like a loser and don't want to tell anyone. I'm in a damn shelter and I just want to cry. I'm so disappointed in myself. I don't know if I'm going to be ok or not. 

I feel embarrassed even asking but how do I go about getting my getting my GoFundMe shared with people without actually sharing it on like Facebook and stuff because I feel embarrassed asking for help big time and I'm trying to figure out how to go about this any and I'll help would be really appreciated and thank you very much!! I'm also a independent person who does not really like asking for help but at the same time I don't know what else to do and I don't want to be laughed at for what I'm asking for help with my friends or anybody else so that's why I'm trying to figure out how to go about this big time.

I just started a go fund me and I have never asked for money before, because I've never had the courage to reach out to others. Having it out there that I need help sometimes makes me feel weak. So after I made one this group popped up and I instantly joined. Its so hard but so nice to know I'm not the only one. I just really hope people will see that this is out of the normal for me and I am really needing help. But its hard to swallow 

I’m trying my first go but being depressed doesn’t help me out of my situation. I’m so embarrassed to ask for help. I don’t even feel like it’ll help. I’ve tried asking friends but nothing works and I’m too scared to post the link in other places for fear of backlashing at me over it because the ex thinks he has to do everything. (and yes I’m trying very hard to get back home but I’m several states away.)

Join the discussion