Feeling embarrassed to ask for help? You’re not alone.

Feeling embarrassed to ask for help? You’re not alone.
Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Let’s get honest - asking for help can be really hard. We’re embarrassed and sometimes afraid of feeling rejected if we don’t get the help we need. But the truth is, eventually, everyone needs help. 

So, why should I bother asking for help?

Believe it or not, most people want to help. Humans find satisfaction in helping others and actually enjoy doing so– there’s lots of science behind this! Getting over that initial fear of asking is the hardest part. We’ve found that once people take that leap, others aren’t actually judging them nearly as much as they feared. After all, asking for help is an act of strength.

Some ideas on how to ask for help: 

– Be sincere. The more heartfelt your ask is, the more others will relate and want to help. Make it a conversation, not a transaction. Share your story and the details that express why you’re asking for help.

– Find your support team. Is your best friend your biggest cheerleader? Do you have certain family members you rely on? Create a team that can support you. Even if they can’t help you directly, they might know others who can. 

– Choose the best sharing method. Phone calls to the people you’re really close to can be more personal and effective than texting or email, for example. Think about who you’re asking for help and what method of communication they might prefer. For example, sharing details about your GoFundMe on social media, text, or email might be the best option for people you have less day-to-day contact with. 

– Express gratitude. A thank you note is a simple yet effective way to show how grateful you are for assistance. Remind your supporters that they did the right thing by acknowledging their efforts, and they may just be inspired to help you again in the future.

These are a few tips from us, but we want to know: what’s helped you overcome feeling embarrassed? What advice would you give a friend?

296 replies

I was so embarrassed to ask for help because I believed my reason wasn’t as important as others. Everyone’s reason no matter how big or small is just as important than the next persons. Don’t be afraid to ask for help, I did. Now just need to figure out the best way to get it out there, it’s progress. Just take the first step!

Asking for help is difficult. I know everyone recommends posting to Facebook, instagram etc but what is you don’t have a social media account? How do you get your fundraiser out there?

I'm only scared to ask for help because of rejection it hurts the soul and honestly I realized that before this happened in my life I was the help. Now if I ask I get no call backs or just get ignored which really hurts. It's always strangers that will help you before your own family I just wish GoFundMe was more like Facebook instead of people u Kno or atleast people that can't help would share... I haven't been with my son for months over 1700 miles away now I don't have the money to keep him there and my place is getting torn down without warning and I'm on a month to month lease. I just pray the right people see this also if you need help sharing I will gladly do so sharing is caring hope the feeling is mutual God bless

https://gofund.me/f9eeab50

I was so embarrassed to ask for help because I believed my reason wasn’t as important as others. Everyone’s reason no matter how big or small is just as important than the next persons. Don’t be afraid to ask for help, I did. Now just need to figure out the best way to get it out there, it’s progress. Just take the first step!

I just wish I had people to share my situation with. I feel like I’m begging when it comes to my situation compared to others.

I have created a GoFundMe request for help but trying to appeal to others when you are genuinely in need is difficult. I am so worried that I won’t raise a dime but at the same time, I am trying to stay optimistic.  Without this help, it will be a really difficult journey.  Can anyone give me some suggestions as to how to start raising funds on this platform?

Hi. not only do I feel embarrassed, but I feel like an algorithm is keeping people from seeing anything I post on social media. I also feel like people think I am spamming them to visit a link and they will get a virus of some sort. It is so irritating that certain evils cause people to be very wary of those who need help.

I am so afraid of losing everything I worked so hard to achieve and because it has been months since I started this business and funding has run out, I am so afraid to pick up that phone or to answer emails when it’s my landlord. They have told me they leased to me when they had plenty of spaces to lease at the height of Covid-19,  and now they are down to having to divide spaces and if I take much longer, they will declare me in default of my lease.

Can anyone tell me how to at least get my page out there to be seen by those donators who search these pages. Again, I may be affected by a hidden algorithm. Thanks and happy getting funding to all.

https://gofund.me/574ce2b9

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

@S J SweetShop I would love to help - would you mind if I provided some advice on your page, so that when people arrive, your page is working for you to convert them to donors? 

As for getting the word out there, I would start with people you feel close to. How did you get your first investors? I would approach your friends and family the same way. I think talking about how this company will add to your community could go a long way. You could speak with the businesses near by your bakery to see if they would be open to helping promote you - after all a sweet shop may bring more people to that area! I would reach out to anyone who has supported you in the past - old bosses, mentors, or teachers, to see if they would be interested in helping you accomplish this vision. Finally, I might try to attend any events in that community and bring baked goods and advertise your fundraiser. For example, in my town we have a local plant swap, and someone came with some snacks that they shared with everyone, along with a business card to their business. 

Badge

Great night! I haven't had much success on here or offline. I just keep pushing. In life I found it better to make the best out of what I have while still moving forward. With tragedies and disasters, resulting in urgent circumstances, the higher demands requires more than my paycheck. Even as a single mom, I put my greatness towards others. I sent countless requests to officials and board teams. But when you're considered just a local leader, my experience is dimness. I hope to get the genuine support needed to help for individuals and families. As I outstretch to be what is needed in this world. That hope will never die💜
https://gofund.me/e17cfa51

@S J SweetShop I would love to help - would you mind if I provided some advice on your page, so that when people arrive, your page is working for you to convert them to donors? 

As for getting the word out there, I would start with people you feel close to. How did you get your first investors? I would approach your friends and family the same way. I think talking about how this company will add to your community could go a long way. You could speak with the businesses near by your bakery to see if they would be open to helping promote you - after all a sweet shop may bring more people to that area! I would reach out to anyone who has supported you in the past - old bosses, mentors, or teachers, to see if they would be interested in helping you accomplish this vision. Finally, I might try to attend any events in that community and bring baked goods and advertise your fundraiser. For example, in my town we have a local plant swap, and someone came with some snacks that they shared with everyone, along with a business card to their business. 

Yes by all means. How can I see it when I return to the page? 

I hate asking for help but I recently put my dog down during one of the most trying times of my life. I bit the bullet and made a GoFundMe for the first time to retain my dog’s ashes. I had no expectations from this but I was pleasantly surprised. I reached and exceeded my goal in a matter of hours. I can say that pride and embarrassment can sometimes get in our own way. We are not the only ones going through what we are going through and there are people who want to help, even strangers. Take the leap of faith; you just might get everything you need and more. But without the attempt you will receive nothing. 

Your story is touching. Was it the people on donors choose who helped you or people you knew? I am having a terrible time getting my page out there! Thanks and keep on moving.

I was so angry, confused, insecure, and just felt as if I was going to be talked about negatively for having a gofundme. February 3, 2022 my life was changed drastically. I was rear ended by a dump truck and pushed into an 18 Wheeler in my sleep. My boss was driving and his brother was in the middle and I was on the passenger side. I have a traumatic brain injury on top of ptsd flashbacks and triggers. My girlfriend and a few great people have been helping me along the way to recovery. My mom, younger brother, and his father don’t think anything is wrong with me because I asked a few questions about my birth certificate. I was homeless and slept outside and I still did not feel ok with having a gofundme but once i had my first stroke and my episodes where i pass out thats when i just had to realize that everybody needs a hand sometimes and everybody goes through hard times. I hate that it took me so long to realize that its ok to take time and heal. I’ve just really been a different person but in the worst way since I lost my grandma Sadie and she raised me she was my mom and my dad. She taught me so much and when she passed i just felt crushed and just been dealing with it ever since. This is my 3rd bad wreck since she passed away and she prayed over me when i was in a coma when I was 16. I love and just miss her so much and i hope she’s living in a better place watching over me and always protecting me. I wasn’t allowed to see her in the hospital when she passed away and idk why but nobody would let me in to see her...sorry im rambling but im just so thankful for everyone involved with gofundme. Thank you guys for this space to really show my gratitude. The past few months have been so stressful.   

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Yes by all means. How can I see it when I return to the page? 

Hey @S J SweetShop Can you clarify what you mean by this?

Hello everyone I started a fundraiser a month ago for my family we was in a tragic car accident that left my husband and I unable too go back too work due to our injuries..we were all thrown from the vehicle after the car flipped multiple times and my husband was left disabled and unable too do for himself...due too that accident we lost everything even our home..I was very embarrassed at first but I did it because I thought doing go fund me would be people everywhere helping you and not just people you know cause most of the time people you know like family and friends just for some reason doesn't seem too care about your situation and you would think they would...but anyway after all the shares no success and we still homeless so what did I do wrong....I don't know I'm trusting God too touch hearts for us....I just needed too vent thank you...

I hate asking for help 😒.  When I used to I would get it thrown in my face 

But I thought I would try this

I honestly never thought I'd be in the situation I am and now I'm desperately in need of help 🥺😞💔

I downloaded this app months ago but asking for help is scary and nerve racking for me. I’ve been trying to ask my so call friends I thought I had an family for help these past couple months m mother an I have been homeless but no one has helped me yet. But whenever they need something they come to my mother an I knowing what we’re going through and still ask us for help but we don’t say anything to them we just still help them even though it’s caused us sleepless nights in the car at rest stops. I’m so stress an so is my mother that I finally had to get on here and at least try to ask for help even though I might not get any. I’m so tired of watching my mother stressed out and breaking down crying everyday praying an begging the lord to fix this situation we’re in. We really don’t have anyone to ask for help espexially the help we need no one we know can or will help us. All of this has been putting me an my mind in a dark space. 

Hello, reaching out because I’m too embarrassed to share my story on my facebook, anyone else feel this way? How do you get people to view your story without sharing it on facebook 

I'm not one to ask for help so I find it so hard. I'm the person who is there to help when someone else needs it. I see so many people raising money for I'll ess and death and emergencies and it makes me feel like I shouldn't be asking for help. Maybe I'm to prideful. 

https://gofund.me/7736ce0e

Coming across this post gave me life because I'm on the verge of being homeless if I don't don't come up with $3500. I go to court May 12th. I lost my job due to me being in a car accident in January and I hate asking for help but this post enlighten me so I'm asking for help and even made me a gofundme so I want to thank you for this post and God bless everyone that's going thru something. 

Badge

This is so hard but I had to swallow my pride and I know I can't do this on my own. 

I’m new here and feel anxious about starting my account just because I feel embarrassed about it and also wonder what people will think, But this post helped me to feel better about it, and I just wanted to say thank you and also ask if anyone is willing would you mind maybe taking a look at my account and letting me know if it’s ok I’m super new to all of this and just want to make sure it’s ok and I wanted to be completely honest and transparent about my situation, after losing my son I’ve definitely come along way with getting sober and know I just need some extra help. So I’m praying and I know everything will work out no matter what❤️🙏❤️

Hi I’m Carla, this is my first time here, I never even imagine myself asking for help but I don’t know what to do anymore I’m so desperate to see my dad because I’m his only daughter and he is currently in the hospital for pulmonary issues in the Philippines. The money that my husband and I saved so my two kids and I  can see him after 4years are going to go to his medical bills that’s why I came to this page and just I’m going to browse I saw this and it gave me strength to swallow my pride and maybe someone can give a hand so I can see my dad and so he can see his grandkids.
Thank you! 

I feel horrible asking for help but sometimes you just need it. I've shared my page with people I'm close and nothing so far but I also feel like I'm doing it all wrong....

Yes, I feel all the emotions that are said by everyone. I recently started a gofundme with many hesitations about what people will think of me or if they would even donate. It is a hard feeling that really weighs alot on the body and soul. I recently had to see my dad go through major brain and spine surgery and I was able to get some funds to help pay for the medical bills through loans, credit cards and savings. It was something that i needed to do and help get him better. It was a hard choice to finally get enough courage to start a gofundme to help pay for the bills and expenses that now i currently face. So i know how most of you all are feeling but in the end you would need to take a chance. A lot of good people out there and small things can turn into great things. Wish everyone the best!

I never knew people would actually help. It took so much for me to post before I did. Ive been homeless for months and still thought it would be better to suck up my pride than ask for help. But I'm glad I finally did. I never knew people even cared anymore. I have a long way to go but at least I finally made a step to get it started!

Join the discussion