Feeling embarrassed to ask for help? You’re not alone.

• 12 January 2022
  • 324 replies
Feeling embarrassed to ask for help? You’re not alone.
Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Let’s get honest - asking for help can be really hard. We’re embarrassed and sometimes afraid of feeling rejected if we don’t get the help we need. But the truth is, eventually, everyone needs help. 

So, why should I bother asking for help?

Believe it or not, most people want to help. Humans find satisfaction in helping others and actually enjoy doing so– there’s lots of science behind this! Getting over that initial fear of asking is the hardest part. We’ve found that once people take that leap, others aren’t actually judging them nearly as much as they feared. After all, asking for help is an act of strength.

Some ideas on how to ask for help: 

– Be sincere. The more heartfelt your ask is, the more others will relate and want to help. Make it a conversation, not a transaction. Share your story and the details that express why you’re asking for help.

– Find your support team. Is your best friend your biggest cheerleader? Do you have certain family members you rely on? Create a team that can support you. Even if they can’t help you directly, they might know others who can. 

– Choose the best sharing method. Phone calls to the people you’re really close to can be more personal and effective than texting or email, for example. Think about who you’re asking for help and what method of communication they might prefer. For example, sharing details about your GoFundMe on social media, text, or email might be the best option for people you have less day-to-day contact with. 

– Express gratitude. A thank you note is a simple yet effective way to show how grateful you are for assistance. Remind your supporters that they did the right thing by acknowledging their efforts, and they may just be inspired to help you again in the future.

These are a few tips from us, but we want to know: what’s helped you overcome feeling embarrassed? What advice would you give a friend?

324 replies

Dee lake,

Thank you for being that middle person for people like me that feels embarrassed. I have looked at a lot of these posts and yours stood out to me thank you.

🙏❤️🙏 God be the glory 🙏❤️🙏 I am over joyed to be a blessing to others!!! Don’t be embarrassed we are all trying to survive this thing called life….

I never imagined that I was going to need help but here we are my husband was diagnosed with lymphoma on April 8th and my world fell apart he was then diagnosed with stage 4 in his bones and lymph nodes from neck to pelvis on may 12th so he's been fighting so hard has gone though 2 rounds of 8 hour chemo so far so I decided to make one to help me with the bills 

Userlevel 2
Badge

I do feel you on how frustrating it is when you feel like your situation doesn't need the attention. You might know hundreds of people but do they all care about what you need or if trying to raise for a good reason it still not worth anything to anyone else.

Hi. I just started a GoFundMe account earlier this week at the suggestion of a friend to raise money to help pay for graduate school. I was a little hesitant at first because I don't like asking for help unless it is absolutely necessary. I've gotten a few donations for which I am grateful; but haven't received anymore since. I started to feel doubts about this and wonder if it was a good idea. Any advice?

I dunno why asking for help is so hard. I dunno what else to do.

Badge

Asking for help is the hardest thing to do. It’s embarrassing and destroys any pride. I honestly bawled my eyes out, snot coming down my face just creating the gofundme to try and ask for help for my children. It’s a special pain being a parent in a tough position. Not knowing many people poses a problem but I’m hopeful and have faith. I agree this post did soften the blow a little. 

I need dental work done badly and didn’t have insurance for years. Now I’m losing my teeth at only 30yrs old and I’m feeling embarrassed about going on facebook asking for help. I feel like I’ll get more judgment than help but I don’t know where else to look.

How do I get over being embarrassed or ashamed for asking for help when my children really need things im unable to provide at the moment. I'm trying im praying im keeping my head up but everything is just happening so fast. Any words of encouragement?

I feel ashamed of asking for help since my family will judge me, I'm subject to their judgment when I don't even get help from them in a way that i need...

It took me almost 3 hours to finally decide to post for help after typing everything up.

I didn't share on any social media or anything yet.. I think it's going to take me a bit to feel ok about it and not embarrassed.

I don't like opening up to others so I find it really hard..

I just created one to help my daughter pay for college and I honestly HATE asking for help. I have post it on FB, Instagram and TikTok and I feel embarrassed about it. I'm not a pushy person so I'm not sure how to go about asking people besides posting it. I don't have any friends where I live and the only friends I have live in a different state and I feel embarrassed to ask them or family.  What should I do? How can I spread the word without sounding desperate? 

Badge

I feel like I am nagging people for money, its embarrassing. I shared my fundraiser on facebook, twitter, and tumblr but Ive only raised 45 dollars. I am so discouraged right now. What can I do?

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

@Brittany Lee there’s some options to raise funds outside of social media as well you can try!

* [url=https://community.gofundme.com/how-to-share-31/how-to-get-noticed-without-social-media-73]How to get noticed without social media[/url]

* [url=https://community.gofundme.com/how-to-share-31/how-do-you-ask-people-to-share-your-gofundme-74]How do you ask people to share your GoFundMe?[/url]

* [url=https://community.gofundme.com/sharing-techniques-31/how-do-i-get-donations-if-i-don-t-know-anyone-5044]How do I get donations if I don’t know anyone?[/url]

Badge

Thank you :) I will take a look

I've tried for months now. No one has donated. No one. I don't do social media. But I've called, texted & emailed everyone. Nothing. I am a complete failure and have never felt more alone.

I feel embarazed for asking but it could be worse....

I just feel so anxious about asking anyone to help me and my family. I’ve never been in this situation before and all I feel is embarrassment and failure. I pray for  everyone who is struggling right now for things to just become a little bit easier.

I get it honestly took alot for me to ask for help but after awhile I just had to come out ask for help cuz my family has to come over my pride

I know there are good people out there that's willing to help families in need I don't like to ask for help but the old saying goes a closed mouth won't get fed I'm praying someone helps

Userlevel 1

Pass the embarrassing part... Just hoping someone would view a d share my story is all. I don't really know people or how to get views... Hope this works 

i hate feeling embarrassed by things that make us vulnerable, but it makes you stronger when people reach out to help ❤️

Badge

I have read and can relate to so many here aboutthe embarrassment of asking.  It has taken me my last resort for this and never thought in a million years that I would be here.  I don't do social media and I'm just stuck in how to share as I still can't bring myself to feel that I am important or deserving of help, especially when so many or in worse predicaments. I do hope and pray for each of you and wish I could give as I always was one to give last dollar or shirt off back. Even if we don't get one donation or meet goal and have no idea what will happen to us,  I still will have faith in ppl and when I AM UP on feet again I will still give last.of what I have. This humbling experience has taught me so valuable insights along the way.

God bless and hang in there. This to shall pass

I get so embarrassed asking for help. I tend to do without just so I don't inconvenience anyone. I am drowning now and it's getting harder and harder. How do I ask for help and not feel guilty? I am a single mom who has always been looked at as the responsible one who had to grow up too fast the one who will always find a way. So it's extremely hard to ask for help. But for fear of losing the roof over my children's and my head as well as struggling to keep food in the refrigerator I find it hard not to ask for help.  

Thank you for listening. Hope you all have a blessed day filled with kindness and beauty.

Userlevel 3
Badge

Thank you for the advice, i’ve been reading through the tips from people and using it. 

My tip is to not give up or let someone/something on your mind discourage you. If you made a fundraiser because you know you do need help, that is what you are suppose to do, too many people put people down instead of giving a helping hand..  we are meant to need help here and there and there is nothing wrong at all with that, it’s a shame people put others down for being humble and saying, “i am in a bad spot and need help please.”

My fundraiser has not had any activity that I know of, but I will keep my head up and praying, do the same and keep sharing it, especially if you have social medias.

Join the discussion