Feeling embarrassed to ask for help? You’re not alone.

Feeling embarrassed to ask for help? You’re not alone.
Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Let’s get honest - asking for help can be really hard. We’re embarrassed and sometimes afraid of feeling rejected if we don’t get the help we need. But the truth is, eventually, everyone needs help. 

So, why should I bother asking for help?

Believe it or not, most people want to help. Humans find satisfaction in helping others and actually enjoy doing so– there’s lots of science behind this! Getting over that initial fear of asking is the hardest part. We’ve found that once people take that leap, others aren’t actually judging them nearly as much as they feared. After all, asking for help is an act of strength.

Some ideas on how to ask for help: 

– Be sincere. The more heartfelt your ask is, the more others will relate and want to help. Make it a conversation, not a transaction. Share your story and the details that express why you’re asking for help.

– Find your support team. Is your best friend your biggest cheerleader? Do you have certain family members you rely on? Create a team that can support you. Even if they can’t help you directly, they might know others who can. 

– Choose the best sharing method. Phone calls to the people you’re really close to can be more personal and effective than texting or email, for example. Think about who you’re asking for help and what method of communication they might prefer. For example, sharing details about your GoFundMe on social media, text, or email might be the best option for people you have less day-to-day contact with. 

– Express gratitude. A thank you note is a simple yet effective way to show how grateful you are for assistance. Remind your supporters that they did the right thing by acknowledging their efforts, and they may just be inspired to help you again in the future.

These are a few tips from us, but we want to know: what’s helped you overcome feeling embarrassed? What advice would you give a friend?

312 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge

I'm so embarrassed 😳 I'm so sad 😞 I'm so depressed I'm so not myself. I though I was able to deal but I can't. I'll b alright I got God church ⛪ on my side. Imma take it day by day. One day I'll have great news to share 😀 

Userlevel 2
Badge

I’m not only embarrassed but even the progress has been going nowhere I’m at a low point now 

It’s definitely hard when you need to ask for help, I believe it’s part of human nature; no one wants to feel less than, but “life happens” to everyone.

Those who say, “Ugh, I could never” are speaking from a place of ego and pride.

In my opinion, there’s nothing wrong with asking for help. A platform, such as this, should be viewed as a blessing - however, it shouldn’t be misused, rather be honest with your situation and why you are asking for help.

Finally, once one is back on there feet, so to say, please remember to pay it forward to the next.

I’m thankful to be a part of this community - to know we can ask for help when needed AND to also help those in need. 

Embarrassed is definitely a understatement for me. I feel so defeated and hopeless. I have tried literally everything in my power to try and get myself out of this situation but its hard when you have NO ONE. Now today is the day and if me and my roommate dont come up with the money, we will have to go and live on the street💔this has crushed me and i have never felt this type of pain before. No one is understanding and constantly saying “Oh your just 20 years old u have no idea of wat stress and depression is”. Which is total bs, im trying and trying to keep my faith in God but it just feel like its never enough.😔  i wouldnt wish this on anyone.         https://gofund.me/f30d0dd1

I am also embarrassed to ask for help. And feeling helpless but reading all of these discussions I realized i’m not alone. Living in this world you need some extra help sometimes. Which is why I am asking for help for my college tuition. I am a first generation student and my family had no clue how it was going to be like at college and people were right college is insanely expensive and I decided I need some help and it’s not wrong to ask for help when you really need it! 

I feel embarrased too :'( because i have asked, searched and worked everywhere and many of friends and family have seen my struggles and have never offered any help, i already went homeless for 3 months with my family and i so afraid to repeat it.. i am greatfull that now i have a place but its too small only 1 bed fits that mu daughter and me sleep in and it kills me to see my son sleep on the floor each night :( i had to give the bedroom to my mom since she needs more privacy ;"( 

I was reluctant and embarrassed to make an account to give my fiancé the dream wedding she deserves but I made one anyway I hope this gives other people the courage to make one!

https://gofund.me/2b591250

I just created a GoFundMe, but I feel so embarrassed/ashamed to share the link and ask for help, but I’m in desperate need of help. Does anyone have any tips or recommendations to post? 

Have faith !

This has been hard for me I have never asked for help don’t have any family then I tend to not make friends just causal relationships 

if I ask people I work with but not know well I think  That would be harder 

so I am open to advice 

I have shared my link so I appreciate any feedback 

https://gofund.me/fc83627e

Userlevel 2
Badge

Praying that you get donations you need to help you out or someone you know. Thank you for putting yourself out there. You are not alone. God bless

Userlevel 2
Badge

Wondering why your own family don’t support for a good cause 

I really don’t know. I know my parents don’t have it to give. But my brother-in-law has quite a bit of money and my in-laws have quite a bit of money and they haven’t offered any assistance (not even to help clean up or anything.) 

Praying that you get donations you need to help you out or someone you know. Thank you for putting yourself out there. You are not alone. God bless

Userlevel 2
Badge

I have tried to raise money to help me with medical and financial needs.. and my last dr apt was told more apts more frequent so that’s more debt and I can’t raise anything. I’m embarrassed and am not a person that ask for help. So i need to figure out something.. I’m sinking and feel like I’m drowning ..

Userlevel 2
Badge

I shared a fundraiser to Facebook and one woman basically told me because I'm not the only one hurting and there are many people hurting financially as well, she was very rude about it all, and basically made it sound like I don't need help. It really hurt my feelings and was very humiliating. I realize that there are many many people out here hurting everywhere, including me and my husband. That was my point. I pray God helps us all. 

I had people like that it is super discouraging… just know you’re not alone… there are some really nasty people out there, but there are also some really good people. God bless

It been super hard for me lately to just stay strong im always stressed and worried. I feel alone and it can get scary knowing that everything could fall apart any day. I try to stay strong and take day to day jobs to feed my two kids and a child i took in at 15. We have been through it all and not having support is even more hard. But i smile and tell my kids it will be okay and im honest with them so they know what is going on. I couldn't even give my kids a Christmas and i was broken but my son who is 6 says mom we love you and we have each other that's what matter. I cried and cried but i have raised them to be grateful and to stay strong. Now i have to do the same. 

I am full of pride it took a lot just to ask for help. I keep rethinking if i opened up to much or if i sound desperate. But all i have is faith and its not about my feelings it about taking care of my kids and keeping things from falling apart if you can. I don't think that makes me less than or do it?

I've never been one to ask for help so it's hard for me. I know that sharing your story with family and friends will help but I'm nervous and embarrassed of what they would think of me. I've always been a go getter but I'm in a rut that I can't get out of and scared to ask for help.

I was embarrassed too, worrying about what others will say, think and talk. The fear of being judged but there are many generous people who help. So I started a GoFundMe for my college studies recently to help with my studies, no matter the amount but the love that humanity shows, there is hope in good-hearted people who help.

I believe in good heart people so I start printing flyers , and cards with the link of my GoFundMe and posted it in bulleting boards at restaurants, college, parks, parking lots, busy streets, anything where people can read and one day I believe one good heart person will see it and lend a helping hand.

I hope its helpful to someone

I have decided to resurrect and rewrite my GoFundMe it is very hard for me to ask for help, but how does it sound and any pointers? https://gofund.me/cadc1ef9as I still have some time ahead of me before I'm fully recovered

Ever my parents left me with my grandmother to raise me they never came back and my grandmother ended up dying and i have been tossed from one place to another. Moving from pain to burning every time. This experience taught me that there was no one to help me but just me. i felt like it was pushing me back to be abused and be weak. but now i feel like its okay to be weak sometimes, its okay to be embarrassed because it is not a personality characteristic but temporary emotional that fades.

https://gofund.me/5b014e1f

Userlevel 1
Badge

How do you asked for help and not feel like you're begging? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

@Randal Steffens You did a great job on your fundraiser! I don’t have a lot of pointers, except to try to condense your story a bit more. A lot of people have very short attention spans nowadays - especially on their phones! I recommend trying to stay under five paragraphs, with 3-5 sentences per paragraph tops! 

I also think your fundraiser is a great one for posting at the beginning of each month to ask for people to re-donate (similar to how people give monthly donations to charities). 

Hello all! I’m very new to this platform reaching out and asking for help. Baby steps for me. I’m wondering about how can I get my fundraiser shared on social media without sharing it myself? I don’t mind it being shared, as long as it isn’t within my small community, Any tips?

We at DJLicious Ice Cream understands. We were afraid, and anxious at first. But we soon got pass those feelings most of you are feeling right now. Think about this, we have been asking for support  for our small business for years so that we can continue to serve and support our community better, more efficiently, bring more joy with our "Smiles for Miles" Tour.

Join the discussion