Giving a local LEO family a Magical Christmas after loss

• 8 November 2021
  • 2 replies

I’m curious how you all do it.  It’s an Academy Class mission that I started to help an officer’s family who passed this last week. He leaves behind a 12 year old daughter and Wife who is also a Police officer.  We are trying to raise $5,000 that’s I’ll go towards Christmas presents for both, gift cards to restaurants and groceries, and what’s left will be put into the college fund set up for his daughter.   I’ve shared daily on multiple social media outlets.  How do I get this recognized in hopes to reach this goal and hopefully beyond it.  Please help.  I just want to do some good in this world and right now that means giving this little girl and her mom a Christmas that doesn’t have to be so sad and full of loss.  

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hey @Natasha Valerio. That’s very kind of you to want to start this fundraiser on another’s behalf. 

I do have some tips for you to help you out here.

1. Please send a beneficiary invitation to the person who the funds are for. You can do this by clicking “Withdraw” in your account. This will help build trust with your donors. 
  2. In your shoes, I would replace the main image of that of the officer who was lost. Especially if you have one with him and his team. This will stand out from other social media posts that may have a similar main image as yours.
  3. I would talk a bit more about the officer and their contribution to the community. It doesn’t have to be a lot of information, but its more engaging for the reader to know a bit more about him, if they weren’t previously acquainted. 
  4. Ask other people from his department to share the fundraiser further to their own network. 
  5. Find out if the local news would be willing to do a piece on this story, and include your link.

Hey. Thank you!  I unfortunately can’t share any information about the officer at this time.  It was not a line of duty death which is why we are doing the go fund me event. I’m in the Police Academy and we as a class are raising money to buy Christmas presents for mom and daughter as well as some household type things that he would have done. Whatever is left will be put into the 12 year olds college fund that has been set up.  The family at this time is unaware that we are planning this surprise for them as this was a recent occurrence.  

Join the discussion