how do I not feel angry and sad about my divorce?

• 30 November 2021
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 1

After many years of mental and and emotional abuse I left my marriage. He has not given me money for myself just a little bit for our son.. now day after thanksgiving he served me with divorce papers and is asking for full custody of our 6 yr old which he has never had for even one night alone.. so how? How do I not feel angry and sad that I once loved this man so much and I have no money yet he is still trying to manipulate me!

2 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +4

Hey Liz, welcome to the community. Sorry to hear about what you’ve been going through. I think sometimes we feel like we shouldn’t have emotions about bad situations, and it can be hard to give ourselves permission to have feelings. Being sad, being angry, grieving… all these things are okay to do! To me, it’s about letting myself feel things while also not letting it define me, and finding a path forward. Wishing you the best.

Userlevel 1

Hey Liz, welcome to the community. Sorry to hear about what you’ve been going through. I think sometimes we feel like we shouldn’t have emotions about bad situations, and it can be hard to give ourselves permission to have feelings. Being sad, being angry, grieving… all these things are okay to do! To me, it’s about letting myself feel things while also not letting it define me, and finding a path forward. Wishing you the best.

thank you, I think some days are just harder than others and I try and keep myself busy where I don’t think about it but it sneaks in. 

Join the discussion