Shame! Is it normal to feeling this way?

• 26 May 2022
  • 1 reply

Hello everyone, 

This is my first time asking for help in this platform. What are some tips in asking for help without feeling embarrassed.

Someone please advise.

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Here’s something a therapist once told me. Recognize when you use “shoulds” or “shouldn’t” in your vocabulary. That word carries a sense of shame in it that other words like, “I wish”, or “coulds”don’t. 

In this case, when you’re embarrassed, you might be thinking, “I shouldn’t be asking for help.”  Instead, if you change that to, “I wish I didn’t have to ask for help!” you can feel that shame slip away. You can acknowledge that the position is uncomfortable without the weight of shame around it. 

In addition to this, it’s good to remember that many people love the opportunity to help. Without an opportunity to do “something,” people close to your situation would feel powerless, which is not fun! Your fundraiser will give relief to those individuals, so make sure they know about it.  

Finally, it’s good to think about who a fundraiser organizer is - they’re leaders. Someone who is trying to inspire their community to come together to make a difference.  If that’s not someone to aspire to be, I don’t know what is!

Join the discussion