Sticky Solved

What are some tips to getting donations from the community for new members?

• 18 January 2022
  • 10 replies

Userlevel 3

I am new to go fund me and was curious about tips on getting donations from the community without feeling embarrassed or worried about being judged. I am in a very difficult situation and don't know how to manage everything. 

icon

Best answer by Jules 18 January 2022, 18:03

View original

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hey @Hoba Hu We have a post that touches on these feelings of anxiety that can result when you’re asking for help. I recommend that you check it out. 

In addition to that, it’s important to note that the GoFundMe community is made up of organizers, rather than donors. The space is mainly for exchanging feedback on your fundraiser and sharing any tips or advice that you learned while fundraising. Asking for donations or shares is against guidelines, so posts of that nature will be removed.

Userlevel 1

I so dont no what im doing and any advise will be the best advise .and i want to thank  you guys for giving us opertunity to have a chance  

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hey @40lsims One thing I would do is to add a photo of you as the main image. I would also edit your title, since it’s not clear what it means at a glance. 

Userlevel 2

Hey… I know nothing of facebook or twitter, and I have no intention of using them. I have only been using this Go Fund Me service for less than two hours. I dont use social media, and I gave my phone away a year ago.

But I know a bit about sales and marketing. I know a bit about how brains respond to certain words, colors, phrases, and concepts. I also know a bit about how frequently companies in general will use the concept of a free service to get members, therefore, no guarantee is necessary for your satisfaction in results. Even PT Barnum studied these concepts.  I know a bit about random things in general, because I went to public school in the nineties in a wealthy community. 

Anyway, in 7th grade, I learned in my basic english class that you need to start any essay with a clear thesis. There is a very simple layout you can use for the wording of your request, and ways you can alter your advertisement to cater to the types of people who are likely to give you the most profit. 

In a sophomore highschool marketing class designed for the ‘special’ kids that were considered dumb failures, I learned that you could easily change statistics to say whatever you want, whenever you want, and that if you include random numbers in things when you talk, you sound smarter. I also quickly learned that you can easily claim that ‘experts say’ when refering to literally any one that has any experience doing something. You can claim ‘an expert artist told me’ when refering to your toddler smearing poop on your walls. 

If you seem to be struggling with funds, why don’t you simply amp yourself up? Get really witty, creative, and passionate and AUTHENTIC about whatever you are doing, and if you shine bright enough, you should turn enough heads to fill your coffers. Just listen to Billy Flynn and go out and razzle dazzle em. Even a butterfly could do it. 

Mostly, just be yourself, blunt, and honest with your goals and the reasons behind them.

Good luck!

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

@irrelevant earthling Love this. There’s so much to be said for persuasive psychology, a lot of which you touch on in your comment. One of the weird parts of fundraising is that you need to somehow convey value your donor, even though you’re the one asking for money! It’s a bit counterintuitive.  One way to think of it, is how can I make my donor feel good giving to my fundraiser? I recommend to organizers to be introspective about their own giving habits.

What drives you to give money when you’re not getting a product or service in return? For me, it may be that I feel confident that my money will help accomplish the goal of the fundraiser (the feeling of productivity/the feeling of making a difference), or maybe I want my name represented among my friends to build my reputation (ego), or perhaps the story moved me enough to give because something is at stake and I want to join the cause (inspiration). 

I wish I can be out there in the community just like everyone else but sucks I can't because I don't know how to be shown in the community like everyone else anyways I'm sorry about what you or anyone else is going thru and I hope things get better for you guys just like with me and may God bless you!

I believe the best way is to post in your community be genuine and honest about your help and people will feel like they need to help you.

I'm not good with words. I hope that people understand my situation. But haven't raised much for people. I've shared it. But I also know times are hard for people. I'm not sure how to make it public either.

I wish I can be out there in the community just like everyone else but sucks I can't because I don't know how to be shown in the community like everyone else anyways I'm sorry about what you or anyone else is going thru and I hope things get better for you guys just like with me and may God bless you!

May God bless you to

That your basically on your own if you're to embarrassed to share it with anyone you know

Join the discussion