What has been your personal experience with using social media?

Userlevel 1

I hope everyone is having great success! Social media is a massive tool for this endeavor. What has been your personal experience with using social media?

11 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

I’m so glad you asked this question @Ken Overshiner It’s an important one. Social media is the primary method of spreading the word within your personal network, and outside of it. My experience is that it’s worth checking out marketing experts on each  social media platform to learn the best ways to use them. I also recommend checking out copywriting tips to learn small bite sized selling techniques. Copywriting creators are usually targeting business owner with their tips, but some of the information is based on psychology principles that can be applied to advertising your fundraiser. 

Userlevel 1

I have a hard time deciding on if putting it on social media is the right call. Sometimes it can be such a useful tool and other times I feel it brings unwanted attention to your struggles and life from people you dont necessarily want to see that side of you.

I'm from a small town. One that doesn't in anyway want to see another person from here be sucessful. When my fiance died, people created stories of how her auto accident was my fault, (I was at work training to be a supervisor on 3rd shift). When me and my motorcycle were ran over by an uninsured driver, a lot of people seemed to enjoy that news. I've never done anything to any of these people but be positive. I've found that in my case, social media, tends to be damaging. I've had people message me, angry that I am asking anyone for anything. I had to take my pists down to stop the harassment.

Userlevel 2
Badge

The first time I shared mine on Social Media, my inbox lit up. People telling me they are sorry I am going through stuff. But they will not share because of how GoFundMe is mis-used. That people set up these fund raisers helping others and money isnt given. Or… People really dont need the help.  

So basically I am hoping someone goes through all the fund raisers and finds mine and might help.  

It is sad when social media is no longer a good place to share stuff when in need.

Userlevel 2
Badge

I've been off and always go fund me for a while now and every time I create a campaign it brings interest to my website as far as readers come into my page to see what GoFundMe I've created this time.

Badge

I've had nothing but scammers comment or try to contact me about my gofundme fundraiser I shared on Facebook. I've gotten zero donations over 6 months I think..I have completely given up hope and I have definitely given up on hoping for some if even just a little bit of help using gofundme. It's seems completely pointless to have even started a fundraiser 

Userlevel 2
Badge

I had to think about the number of platforms that I'm registered on while raising funds.  There's not that many online with that type of exposure. The way I use gofundme with My Social media accts.. etc. changes.  The Way I benefit is different.

Userlevel 2
Badge

For example. Now im looking to allows My gofundme to analyze, automate and schedule messages and posts sent out on my social media accounts.  Of course. I Have To link to IFFT and Slacker, Buffer. YOUTU.BE  and Thrinacia. but the gofundme Platform essentially costs Me nothing.  

Userlevel 1

Ken Overshiner, trying to stay positive has been most challenging. My first husband and I were extremely active in our social circles with fundraisers and benefits, As a matter of fact, we were notified by organizers. We were successful in our business and shared generously promoting, and purchasing items for auction that was appropriate for purchasers associated with said benefits, and enjoyed the auctions ourselves competing for the purchase of items auctioned, Many of these people see my facebook page leaving me feeling discouraged. I keep telling myself these ARE difficult times.

Badge

I have found it to be completely disappointing and a waste of my time.  I try to stay positive and keep trying only to get smacked in the face constantly by scammers. Which seems to be the only human beings that actually read people's gofundme fundraisers.  Just being honest 

I have a hard time deciding on if putting it on social media is the right call. Sometimes it can be such a useful tool and other times I feel it brings unwanted attention to your struggles and life from people you dont necessarily want to see that side of you.

I to myself  struggling with  putting things  out there. 

Join the discussion