What have you learned about yourself after facing hard times?

What have you learned about yourself after facing hard times?

Show first post

162 replies

Userlevel 1

I have learned that when the chips are down you learn who your true real friends are and who in your family you can count on. And you know the ones in the family you can’t ,  Unless they need something then they expect you to be there for them you better bet ya!! My baby is going to die before I can get the money saved to get her to the vet.

My support team has purity much always sucked. 

I had 2 brothers and 3 sisters  I can’t count on anyone except my youngest sister.

my on mom left me home and she moved to Virginia as soon as I turned 15 yah!!!

I am currently going through the loss of my sister and her brother-in-law.  The loss of loved ones unexpectedly causes pain like no other.  I am still learning how to push through the immense grief and how to fully come to terms with this loss.  Once I have those answers, I will share those paths hoping to help those in the future with the loss of loved ones.

This was certainly a loaded question for me. Over the years, I've discovered that what is traumatic to some may not be to all. Learning why was the most difficult part of this experience. Once you've faced something so horrible and unimaginable, and not only survived it, but thriving afterwords, everything else seems so simple. Life takes on a whole new beauty and meaning.

It has made me re-find myself and at the same time redefining myself as well. It's shown me how to live every day instead having only to survive to see another. If you are in a place that feels hopeless, please don't lose what you are holding on to. Don't say it's hopeless if you're here reading this because the fact that you are says it is still there...or you wouldn't be. Sometimes it seems to never end or there is no way out. There is. Don't lose sight that there is better and it may not come when you want or seem to be there because it "just never seems to happen".

It's there. You can reach it...and when you do, it's something that can only be described or felt so deeply when you've crossed that road. Hang on and keep believing that no matter what. I'm glad I got up and kept going instead of quitting and staying there. Now, comes more than survival. Now...I get to live. You can too. My daughter and I both survived. Now, I'm here for her. She's been my rock and a little warrior. I'm trying to show her the beauty beyond her trauma and heartbreak.

Between our life at home and hers at school, we've been through some really rough waters. In our calm after this storm, we've found a beautiful rainbow. She deserves to thrive and I'm going to stay with her in it no matter what. Love those close to you. Tomorrow isn't promised and each day is a gift. That is why it is called the present.

I live every minute in hard times. Didn't know I was on spectrum till I was 40. Always been an outcast, always had to hold back much of myself. At 100% I overwhelm people. So I hold back and never really let go. Not that I have to. But I choose to, because even though I suffer, I know that I do it out of respect of others. And I live in a world where everyone gets to live live focusing on 1% while I have to constantly be prepared for the other 99%> always overwhelmed. But I get through it because I tell myself I am burdened with all these problems, people always trying to take advantage of my, or ruin my life or whatever,  if it can go wrong it will to me. But it happens to me because apparently I can take it and keep fighting, and I tell myself that these things happen to me and I accept it as long as I'm preventing from happening to others. I absorb all this weight, to make those who can't handle it not have to experience it. Why else would I have to live like this. And though it sucks. And will never change, it'll never break my spirit. There's always a way through it until there's but. And I don't accept there's not like right now, jobless, about to be homeless, all because an app won't let me speak to a human to correct an error on its end that's preventing me from working. And that's just one thing. There's more. Keep figuring and staying true to yourself is all we can do

I feel you. It seems like those with the most light to share have the hardest challenges. Don't ever give up and do not let people take your light I'm having a bout of. Homelessness to and I know I am a kind, gentle person with lots of love to give. Knowing my worth, although feeling worthless mostly lately brings me back to my true self. I will overcome this, as will you and there are better days ahead!

Going through something difficult and making it out the other side is not something to downplay. With every experience, you have an opportunity to build character, learn more about the world, and potentially teach others through the wisdom of your experience.

When was the last time you went through something hard? What did you learn about yourself during the experience?

going threw this recovery process with my wife has taught me a lot 1) she is a very strong person and taught me to never give up 2) the bond my daughter and her share is so strong (when our daughter got to finally see her they just held each other for  hours )

Good evening. My name is Donnell Johnson. I've been home now for almost 12 years. I've been in prison for 18 years. On and off. I'm a father of a boy with Noonan's syndrome scoliosis and has to go to the oncologist. It's not always a good experience. But I have been happy a lot due to my son. He is the reason I changed my life for the better, but my situation is extremely hard. My freedom and son is very important to me. But sometimes I feel like, if I didn't have him, I don't know what I will do or where I would be. Because it's hard out here not knowing people, having friends or family in my life. Just trying to raise my son is all I'm trying to do. In prison it's no real responsibilities, but out here, so many responsibilities that needs to be tented to, and gets frustrating at times because I don't have anything. But I refuse to give up on my son because he didn't ask to be born with so many disabilities and I know he needs me. 

Thank you for letting me share.  God bless everyone 

What I learned after facing hard time is PATIENCE.  I learned that everyone is not capable of enduring all that I have been through. I've been molested as a child, been shot, stabbed,a metal plate in my face, abandon, locked up for years, lost my parents, homeless, mental and spiritually broken, lied on, lied to, lonely, depressed, and denied by many. I'm still here. Praying, believing in God and that one day I will be able to provide for my son. I learned to love myself enough to want to see my son grow up and be better than me. I also learned that I am not finished learning. I'm trying to learn how to be a better father. 

Going through something difficult and making it out the other side is not something to downplay. With every experience, you have an opportunity to build character, learn more about the world, and potentially teach others through the wisdom of your experience.

When was the last time you went through something hard? What did you learn about yourself during the experience?

Being a single mom at a young age is quite a challenge but I do whatever I can to support my son 

I would love to get the chance to spread my story to people who can learn from it. Especially the youth. My situation is extremely difficult to bear at times. I was never given an opportunity to get on a platform and give my testimony or message to people. Through our my life, it was hard, sadly the evidence of my past is reflecting upon my son life right now. Even though I have changed my ways, I'm still faced with different challenges everyday. I actually believe that people will take their own life if they were faced with some of not all of what I have been through. Yes I am struggling and need help, but it's for the sake of my son. I learned that I have a passion and yearning for a chance to help change people bad experience into something that's good and appreciated. Meaning all that was once bad doesn't have to stay that way. We all have goodness in us, it's just timing and the will to want to do and be good. Believe me, I can write a book, but I am not comfortable or situated in my life right now. Struggling to much, trying to find a place for my son. I guess once I get a place, I might be able to write. So until then I don't want to but must continue to find solace and peace. 

I’ve learned that no matter how gray life may seem there's always a rainbow peeking through the other side. you just have to have patience and courage to get through whatever obstacles or hardships that get in your way. You have to think more positively and have trust even when it may seem like it's impossible to do so. negativity and hate won't get you anywhere in life and will only make the hard times harder to work through. Life gets hard sometimes but we just have to follow through without losing hope and find peace within ourselves and life.  

Being a First-generation, African American transfer student that returned to school after being out for 20 years, the main thing that I have learned is that I am very resilient, not giving up and coming back to fulfill my dreams and goals. I learned to bet on myself, I did have doubts about coming back to school after so long. But by me betting on myself it allowed me to push past all those negative thoughts and the bad energy around me. I graduated from Los Angeles Southwest College with 4 A.A Degrees and 2 Certificates: A.A- Sociology, 2021/ A.A- Interdisciplinary Studies: Social and Behavioral Sciences, 2021/ A.A- Sociology for Transfer, 2021/ A.A- Liberal Studies: Teaching Preparation, 2021/ Certificate of Achievement CSU- General Education, 2021/ Certificate of Achievement- Social Services, 2021. And this fall 2022 I will be taking my talents to UCLA as a Sociology major. Another thing that l learned is that it is never too late to be great. 

Userlevel 1

What I've learned from going through hard times is to never judge... Don't judge a book by its cover, you never know what someone is going through... Just be kind.. we all need a little love even the once that may seem don't deserve it, those my friends are the ones who need it the most. 

Badge

So true and unfortunately everyone judges you and they don’t even know you 

This whole year has been hard. And this summer has been a really tough struggle. Hopefully things will get better soon. I feel like if I believe that things will get better and trust in God that things will work out. Honestly, I just take one day at a time. I tell myself “You just need to get through today”, “Tomorrow will be better “, “You can do this”, “Just three more days” and things like that. It’s hard to be your own support system, especially when you have so many doubts and continue hearing “no” from people. I know that I’m not alone in my struggles. I know that it is hard for so many people right now. All we can do is try our best and hope for a better tomorrow. 

AMEN! Sunday I was in a car accident as the passenger and I'm still not sure how I'm alive. 

Badge

I have learned that this country,  world, is in such a state turmoil to the likes that haven't been seen in a few generations.  That we should not pretend that we know what another feels or what they might be going through are have been through.  I have learned that in this day of difficult times that added assumptions are just that "ass-suptions" and that one act of kindness goes a long way!! I have learned that the "powers that be " just want the old additive "to divide and conquer " and we shouldn't let them because at the end of the day, the only ones who suffer are ALL of us!! But the most valuable lesson I have learned is that every day I try  to treat one as I want to be treated.!! It is my goal every day !!  And I always at the end of each day evaluate my actions for that day and see what I learned and what I could do differently or better,  because you learn something new everyday.  Always HAVE FAITH in yourself and others.. I believe there's good in most ppl.. not everyone but.... kill them with kindness!!.. that's what I have learned in this turmoil  roller coaster journey have been on the last year and half.. GOD BLESS AND HAVE FAITH.. BE KIND to each other.. it will pass and you will be surprised what FAITH can provide.. 

I learned to be grateful, to keep my mental health safe. Being the main provider of my family and having to go through tuff situations like being laid off, I learned to maintain calm. My first time I got laid off I was devastated “my first job after graduating college, why me” I question my self. With the support of my fiancé I manage to land a better job working at RCHSD. Just when we had peace of mind, my soon to be 5 year old step son (at the time), was diagnosed with stage 3 lymphoma. Now my son is a cancer survivor at age 7. During this ruff roller coaster I learned to be grateful and even when you are passing through a tuff situation remember to stay optimistic; you can conquer this obstacle! Don’t lose hope, and take action!

I was recently diagnosed with a serious heart condition. One that is of complete uncertainty.

I'm just starting to realize all the time I could've spent with family, friends, or people that care about me. I've been a "loner", you could say, for a good part of my life...

And now not knowing how much of it is left, all I want is to be around them. Tell them I love them, and that's what I'm going to do until God, Allah, The Universe or whomever is up there says my story is over... 💜 Love y'all 

I have learned that this country,  world, is in such a state turmoil to the likes that haven't been seen in a few generations.  That we should not pretend that we know what another feels or what they might be going through are have been through.  I have learned that in this day of difficult times that added assumptions are just that "ass-suptions" and that one act of kindness goes a long way!! I have learned that the "powers that be " just want the old additive "to divide and conquer " and we shouldn't let them because at the end of the day, the only ones who suffer are ALL of us!! But the most valuable lesson I have learned is that every day I try  to treat one as I want to be treated.!! It is my goal every day !!  And I always at the end of each day evaluate my actions for that day and see what I learned and what I could do differently or better,  because you learn something new everyday.  Always HAVE FAITH in yourself and others.. I believe there's good in most ppl.. not everyone but.... kill them with kindness!!.. that's what I have learned in this turmoil  roller coaster journey have been on the last year and half.. GOD BLESS AND HAVE FAITH.. BE KIND to each other.. it will pass and you will be surprised what FAITH can provide.. 

Very well said... Always have faith 💜

This whole year has been hard. And this summer has been a really tough struggle. Hopefully things will get better soon. I feel like if I believe that things will get better and trust in God that things will work out. Honestly, I just take one day at a time. I tell myself “You just need to get through today”, “Tomorrow will be better “, “You can do this”, “Just three more days” and things like that. It’s hard to be your own support system, especially when you have so many doubts and continue hearing “no” from people. I know that I’m not alone in my struggles. I know that it is hard for so many people right now. All we can do is try our best and hope for a better tomorrow. 

That's exactly the way I am looking at life from this point, until the end of my story. One day at a time and enjoy each moment we're here 💜

I've learned that even when your are down on your luck small wins are a thing. I had $45 to my name and worried I wouldn't have enough for the basics at the grocery store my end total was $44.00 (not sure what forces helped me with that) but I didn't go over my $45 nor did I have to put things back. This small win ment everything. Yes I only now have a $1 to my name until I get paid but it'd still a win to me. Stay in a positive mindset even when you feel like you're failing.

Going through hard times can be different from one person to another, I’ve gone through so much in life. So I’ve learned that happiness is a decision not what you have, been healthy and mentally stable is blessing from God. I hope one day I can heal from my past and be free again!

Unfortunately as I’ve learned that I have no one that I can count on for myself and I am such an condone drum I literally have $2.50 to my name and I will be sleeping outside tonight is not a nice area to be sleeping outside as a woman let alone a person. I have nowhere to take a shower I’ve gone from 0 to 100 so quick it’s insane. I took care of my parents financially until they both passed away I had savings of $$485,000 and that Card spent in their bills the medical bills the rent and everything else it went so quick and the next thing I know I’m out on the street with nowhere to live in the world buddy to help me I have no family left is a sobering thought . I would probably read one of the very few who did not take her take drugs and that was never my problem situation is I’m at wits and I don’t know what to do I don’t know where to go I called 211 and they’re supposed to help they don’t do anything I don’t know what to do I’m stuck any ideas a new one? My mom used to say when we were kids that you get hungry three times a day you know what no I am understanding or thought pattern on that one!!! 

Join the discussion