What have you learned about yourself after facing hard times?

What have you learned about yourself after facing hard times?

Show first post

174 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

That in the end you come out twice as strong. 

Userlevel 1

I learned that I’m bad a managing stress ha! 

Because of that, I spend a lot of time trying to prevent it. My go to method is to prevent stress through methods like exercising, talking to my friends, getting enough sleep, yada yada.

But sometimes this isn’t enough! 

During those times, I find respite in a mantra. I will tell myself, “I’m going to be okay” over and over.  It’s super simple, but it never fails to comfort me. 

I also spend a lot of time listing to help me get super organized. Controlling my surroundings through small manageable goals keeps me turning the page on my day until I get passed whatever is causing me hardship. 

Same here I'm going through a very rough time as I speak. But I'm staying strong and praying to get through these hard times.

Userlevel 1

That in the end you come out twice as strong. 

Well said! Yes! 

That I am one tough cookie, and that is actually pretty hard to say about myself..I almost wanna knock on wood to prevent any more hard times.. I don’t think I can take anymore bad luck right now..

And I understand what everybody’s saying but when you have a backpack a small one with one shirt and one pair of jeans and what you have on and $.50 in your pocket is beyond stressful it’s scary and is a Christian I pray and pray and pray but nothing seems to be helping. I want to get in efficiency apartment but those are down here at four $1500 a month it’s ridiculous I’ll move anywhere just to get help

What I have learned that I'm a stong individual but most of all I'm a mom doing whatever it takes to keep my kids from my storm so they will never get wet or see me break even if that means crying with a pillow over my face .

Userlevel 1
  • Dikirria Stewart Don't hide it all from your kids. Kids will grow stronger to see some suffering. Because what they'll remember is watching you go through hard times and how you always rose above it and took care of you're family.

• Dikirria Stewart Don't hide it all from your kids. Kids will grow stronger to see some suffering. Because what they'll remember is watching you go through hard times and how you always rose above it and took care of you're family.

Your absolutely right , I just want them to know mommy is trying while trying so hard not break down 

Userlevel 2

Going through something difficult and making it out the other side is not something to downplay. With every experience, you have an opportunity to build character, learn more about the world, and potentially teach others through the wisdom of your experience.

When was the last time you went through something hard? What did you learn about yourself during the experience?

I'm currently experiencing my hard times in life. Never going through this before I was surprised with myself that I continue to help others in need even though I'm in need as well. I don't talk about what I'm going through and I just basically do the best I can. The one thing that makes me happy still, with everything I am going through, is helping others. I love making sure everybody has a smile on their face and if we do this together,  we will get through.

I've learned that family and friends are important. A good support system is a must. It's hard losing someone close to you in a severe tragic way and after the shock and the realization sits in it still doesn't feel real. Thank God for my family because I don't think I could do this without them. My kids are so important to me and I guess I rely on them as much as they rely on me.

Userlevel 2

I've learned that family and friends are important. A good support system is a must. It's hard losing someone close to you in a severe tragic way and after the shock and the realization sits in it still doesn't feel real. Thank God for my family because I don't think I could do this without them. My kids are so important to me and I guess I rely on them as much as they rely on me.

I'm glad you have family there for you. Best of luck with everything!

Going through something difficult and making it out the other side is not something to downplay. With every experience, you have an opportunity to build character, learn more about the world, and potentially teach others through the wisdom of your experience.

When was the last time you went through something hard? What did you learn about yourself during the experience?

Being a person who has silently gone through so many trials and tribulations, I learn something new in every situation. I learned that I’m so hard on myself. Much more than I am with other people. I learned that I lack a few things. And in order to persevere u have to be resilient. I learned that you have to speak life into yourself. Do not dwell in the darkness.

Userlevel 2
Badge

With this heart attack, I've learned allowing stress to overrun you can kill you. I finally realized that no matter what happens, I will make it through as long as I keep my health up. We all experience trials and tribulations and through prayer, humility and courage, this too shall pass. Eventually, I will learn why I was put in this situation and what my Purpose is while moving forward. To everyone going through tough situations, I pray for guidance, strength and good will

This is a superb topic!  Not everyone has the same hardships and connecting with one another helps to remedy some of the stresses that go along with rough patches.

The hardest thing lately I’ve gone through and am still going through is the low self-esteem of our youth.   As a regular volunteer at my church youth group, I am blessed to be a part of the conversations, but it’s also somewhat depressing.

The biggest thing I hear is feeling lonely.  I notice it at the supermarket, I notice it on the street, and even in restaurants.  Largely, we have become disconnect personally to one another and it’s a sad thing for our youth to be brought up in a cultural that this is a norm.  As, a somewhat shy person I try myself to go the extra mile to give someone an encouraging word or at least a smile if words are not applicable to the situation.  It is easy to smile or wave to someone smiling back at you but when the look is grim it isn’t so easy.  I have to dig deep sometimes to muster out the… How are you doing?  

Seems like a silly struggle on the surface but until we practice this concept, we will never truly understand how much we need one another.  I’ve read some of these hardships, feel them, sympathize, and pray for you all.  It takes more guts to admit hardship than it does to reveal the good things.

I leave this 9pm banter with a smile :) There are better days on the horizon! 

How are you doing today?

Userlevel 2
Badge

You learn yourself, your weaknesses your strengths and determination. 

I have learn that no one cares as long as it's not them ,needing help as long as we have given to our family's and our community no one step up to help us back and we never ask anyone for anything we always give ,the bible even says if you you should receive the kindness of you heart, no around here I guess I am so disappointed makes me see who is true and who are users.

Userlevel 1

I've learned the most important thing. I've learned that I am strong as F***. For 2 years I have been homeless in az approx 1800-2000 miles from everything and everyone I know living between the car and the tent. Doing everything I can to survive and still help as many people as I can. Right now I'm sitting with our home/car with a busted power steering pump and rack and pinion with little to no savings and trying to figure out a solution. Parts and labor to fix my car or 1100 for a 98 explorer I just got paid so I have a lil over half. Its moments like this that can make or break a person. I refuse to give up. I'd love for some help and kindness but I don't expect anything or anyone to care. In most of my life hardships no one ever does, and sometimes someone amazing comes along and helps me back up. I could use a hand up not a hand out. I'd give anything to have my babies in my arms come Christmas. That's about 60 days to figure out a vehicle and funds to get from Arizona to south Dakota. All I can do is keep working, keep praying and hold tight to my faith that everything will be ok and God will send answers and aid 

God is good and just remember that he got you and he loves you I try to keep that in mind I'm going through a really hard time in my life ànd I believe that he's with us and there are good people that would help us peace be with you and God bless 

I read this RIGHT when I needed to

Read It. I moved to

another state to take care of a family member with cancer. I uprooted my two children. Now my family member is healthy and I can’t wait to start my childrens and I new journey. I found a beautiful house near my family member and near my job. My kids love the place amazing back yard. They deserve this house so I’m HOPING and PRAYING I get the same outcome.! Bless you.! Thank you for hearing me out anyone reading this 

Going through something that potentially turns your life and all existence upside down really makes you step back and take a tally on what is really important. I was in a life altering situation where I was convinced I was not going to see another day. All I kept thinking about was my children and the last things we did and said. None of it seemed sufficient or adequate. I thought of 5 million other things I should have done. Don’t be that person who ever has to wonder, I hold my children close now , I say I love you every opportunity I get. I take nothing for granted. I enjoy and relish every single moment spent with them. I came to realize that in my day to day I had gotten complacent and took for granted there would always be tomorrow. This is not true tomorrow is not guaranteed. I do all I can every single day now. 

Hi everyone new here , I have realized that I've gotten stronger with each passing day 

I've learned to stop smell the roses and enjoy even the littlest thing 

Life can & will change your plans faster then you can blink ! And not even give a reason 

I've learned that we only have so many hours in our day and tomorrow is another chance to complete what you didn't the day before and you should greatly appreciate that second chance because no one is guaranteed tomorrows !.

Userlevel 2
Badge

it seems I have been going through hard times for most of my life just like allot of people.  Lately, times seem even harder starting with the pandemic, the deaths of some beloved people in my life and now financial woes.  The thing I have learned is that I need to remain grateful, always.

My Mama had a saying “And, this too, shall pass”.  So I always try to remember that.  But I am grateful because there are so many people out here that have it way more worse than I do.  Mama also used to say “There, before the grace of God, I walk”.  Don’t get me wrong.  I am NOT Polyanna.  When I get down and gloomy and negative about what’s going on in my life, I allow myself some time to feel that because we still have to be true to our feelings.  but then, I stop and start counting my blessings.  That usually lifts my spirits and then I go pray for all those who need it.  Blessings.

What I learned most was that you must continue to learn everyday all your life.  There’s always more to learn and the moment you stop that’s the moment you stop growing and moving in the direction you want your life to go in.  Learn from the good and bad times.  To be present but always preparing for the future.  The only way to really survive, grow, and heal is to learn to find the good or righteous path in all circumstances and endeavors.  

I am currently going through a tough time financially, it’s been a big strain on my mental and physical health. I am working 2 jobs and everyday I just want to quit and the situation at home isn’t helpful. It’s tough to keep a positive mindset sometimes and I think it’s healthy to have moments where you feel down. As long as you know you’ll be able to move forward, I think the most neglectful thing we can do for ourselves is to not validate our own feelings. I know that hard times will always come but as long as we’re strong in mind, body and spirit we can really move forward. There are days where you feel like you’re drowning and you just can’t get up, and it’s so difficult when you don’t have a consistent support system. But I am glad to see that even if we don’t have a community at home that we can relate to we can always create our own. The beauty of life is that it will always find a way. I hope everyone has a wonderful day and find the strength in yourself to find a way. I think writing this post helped me find a little hope in tomorrow. 

Join the discussion