What have you learned about yourself after facing hard times?

What have you learned about yourself after facing hard times?
Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Going through something difficult and making it out the other side is not something to downplay. With every experience, you have an opportunity to build character, learn more about the world, and potentially teach others through the wisdom of your experience.

When was the last time you went through something hard? What did you learn about yourself during the experience?

174 replies

I’ve learned after I get through this unexpected hard time. If and when I become stable again, I’ll definitely have enough savings to take care of my extended family. No one can be prepared for their sister to be murdered and you’re left raising a child, it’s hard when all you have to do is lookout for yourself. Boy o Boy, I don’t wish this pain that I see my niece go through on no one. 

Going through something difficult and making it out the other side is not something to downplay. With every experience, you have an opportunity to build character, learn more about the world, and potentially teach others through the wisdom of your experience.

When was the last time you went through something hard? What did you learn about yourself during the experience?

I'm 31 and just got out of prison the day I got arrested my daughter was born I learn allot about myself in the 2 years I was away there is alot more to life than doing the things I was doing before she deserves the best out of life and a daddy that's there for her. Sitting in my cell I cried for weeks and months thinking of what I can do when I get out Im currently seeking a career as a chef I'm graduating culinary school here in about 2 weeks 

Zackari Harris, Congratulations on all of your successes that you’ve achieved. Unfortunately, I don’t have the support at the time. My niece loss both parents by the age of seven to gun violence and I’m still picking up the pieces trying to get her stabilized. I’ve been independent since I was sixteen years old, I also finished school and obtained a career in the Medical Field.  I lost everything to prevent her from going into the system. I’m going to continue to ask GOD to provide our needs and wait on his blessings 

I am reading these responses, and y’all give me such hope and strength.  So many important lessons here about gratitude, and humility, and grace. 

Something important I learned when I went through a really difficult surgery seems a little obvious now:

Helping relieves the feeling of helplessness.  

Before I set up my fundraiser I was scared and out of options.  I knew money would be tight, recovery would be difficult, and I would have a lot of time by myself while my partner worked.  My friend asked how she could help and I didn’t have a good answer.  She said to me “I just feel so helpless”.  That really struck me.  I was so caught up in my own fear and embarrassment that it never occurred to me that my friends and family feel stuff about the situation, too.  Allowing them to help would help them feel better, too. That changed how I think about giving and receiving help.  

So, I created my fundraiser with help from a friend, and I made a list of a few ways people could help (money, food support, company).  When people asked “What can I do?” I started to hear “I want to help” instead of “Why can’t you do this on your own”.  My bestie could not help financially, but she could travel to be with me for the first week, and that was helpful. My family couldn’t visit or bring food, but they were all very happy to help financially where they could.  Some folks set up a food train so I had easy to eat options. It was all valuable.   

No one wanted to feel helpless, and that was the only problem I could solve. It changed my entire life. 

i have learned that people who said they wou.ld be there, wasn’t and the ones i didn’t expect to show up did/.  i also learned that i seem to be stronger than i thought.  i battled cancer and now i’m battling the side effects of a stroke.  i’m only 46.   i thought th8s only happened to the elderly but boy was i proven wrong

I've learned how truly strong I really am, I was raised by really strong women but as life goes on and can be so difficult and you feel like you almost loose yourself. You have to keep moving forward and remember that God is in control and he wants good things for us so if we believe and have faith we can always get through the hard times!! 

Good luck, Godbless, 

I've learned that there's nothing in this world you cannot do if you have an open mind. No matter what you go through in life you can eventually get through it you would just have to believe in yourself. And I've also learned how to become more aware of certain situations so that my feelings wouldn't easily become hurt. People tend to take advantage of good-hearted people but sometimes it's ok to make space to live your own life. If you see a vulnerable person or notice someone is going through something ask them if they need help or you know words of encouragement can change certain people's lives for the better. 

I try not to get to upset going through it, because like Steve Harvey said "we have made it through 100 percent of our bad days."

Userlevel 1
Badge

To never give up

Userlevel 2
Badge

Im going through this now actually, the pandemic destroyed everything I was building and i went from doing ok but steadily growing to now scraping by delivering with instacart.  What it continues to show me is how important to have people that care about you around you.  They dont have to be close family, but community is important.  Because while today you may be the one needing help, tomorrow you may be in the position to help others that did what they could to help you.

Userlevel 1

I’m currently going through the hardest situation and crisis of my life right now, and what I’ve learned is even though I may not see the light and feel hopeless, I wake up every single day so it’s obvious life isn’t done with me yet and has a reason and purpose for me. I’ve also learned to try not being so hard on myself after everything I’ve been through and everything I’m still facing everyday. I have to be patient and put my trust into Gods hands now and give it time.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Im going through this now actually, the pandemic destroyed everything I was building and i went from doing ok but steadily growing to now scraping by delivering with instacart.  What it continues to show me is how important to have people that care about you around you.  They dont have to be close family, but community is important.  Because while today you may be the one needing help, tomorrow you may be in the position to help others that did what they could to help you.

Userlevel 1
Badge

We are fortunate to have such an amazing community.

Userlevel 2
Badge

Thats great, im hoping to be a big part of it and help to expand it.

You took the words out my mouth ❤️

reading through the comments and realizing maybe I'm not there yet. you all are so brave and strong 

My daughter was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes and it has been a struggle ever since. In the beginning we were overcome with grief. Don’t get me wrong we are very blessed that she is still alive and that we have modern medicine to help her live a long healthy life. But, she has been through so much in her little life and this was just another things she has to overcome. When she was 18 months old she was physically abused by someone we thought we could trust. He killed her and she the paramedic’s brought her back. Well, she had a stroke which has affected her right side of her body and her foot does not fully move. 

She is so strong and after we had a few meltdowns we finally got the hang of things. It is a struggle still and I worry about her every day even more than before. 

I know that we can overcome everything life throughs at us because she is the strongest 12 year old ever. 

Since I was diagnosed with stage 4 pancreatic cancer at age 37 I was at first in denial, then shock, then depression but I’ve entered a new stage of life I’m enjoying more than ever. I’ve accepted my fait and I’ve made peace with dying but I’m not gonna just sit around and wait on it to come. I’m gonna live as much as possible in the days I have left. I’ve reconnected with old friends I’ve mended bridges I’ve sit and had more in depth heartfelt conversations with my family I’ve spend so much time with them, quality time. I’ve got outside and started a garden. I’ve loved and lived more this last year than I’ve truly ever lived and I have learned to take nothing for granted. 

Userlevel 2

I personally have only ever taken on hard times as a life adventure… until recently that is! My world was shaken not just my world my entire being as a person. I lost my sanity I lost my financial stability I lost my sense of reality and sense of purpose. There is no reason I should have lived the nightmares that I have. To be somewhat Alive and not considered “puddle”  anymore is only by the grace of god! And the help of those who support and love me! I survived a Very very toxic abusive relationship and over the course of 10 years that relationship almost destroyed me along with two other little ones that I am a mother to. I decided literally moments after surviving an attempted strangulation by my ex that I would no longer allow myself to live or barely live that’s life. I didn’t want to see or  let my girls continue the cycle of abusive relationships. I had to stand up and realize that the road is going to be hard.  without me reaching out or letting others know that I needed help that I was never going to make a difference . Not only have I realize how resilient I as a single full-time student mother going after my dream and also facing my fears in anxieties by becoming a welding diva ; but that my girls are just as strong and resilient as me! all I can do is lay my head down at night and pray I’m making the right choices! 

I am finally starting to learn who madisyn is shes not what everyone else says and how to stick up for myself

What I’ve learned in these last past years, is that  no matter what situation you in as long as you believe and trust in God he will always make away for you to heal, and send trustworthy and genuine people to help you in the time of need

That I made it. even when it gets too tough.. dont give  up

Here’s what go fund me has taught me.  

Nobody cares.

We are all going thru something . some of us might feel like were not going to make it thru and some of us might feel like our world has fallen apart but let me tell u all that God loves us and will always walk with us . And believe me whatever your going thru is temporary you will get thru it just like i will ..God bless you all

Join the discussion