Would love some concrete suggestions

• 9 October 2022
  • 4 replies

Hi, I've had my gofundme me going for a few weeks and still have $0.

I never have asked for help in the past and this was very hard for me to do. I've always been the one that other people come to for help. 

Now my husband has cancer and is out of a job. My son has severe autism and my lungs are so bad the dr gave me just a year to live 3years ago but I've hung on because I knew my family needs me. 

I really don't know what I'm doing wrong, but I know my family does really need the help so if anyone can give me any concrete advice or

suggestions it would be appreciated greatly! I've posted to the Public  on my Facebook, Twitter and Instagram and still nothing.

We really don't have any other family or friends who have money to give away so what should I do. I'm feeling pretty hopeless right now. 

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Hey @Lisa Cook Happy to take a look. Would you mind adding your fundraiser link to your Community profile, so we can take a peek and give some ideas? I also recommend uploading a profile photo, so we can get to know you a bit better. To add information to your community profile, just click your profile icon in the top right corner, and navigate to “settings.”

From there, hit the “edit profile” button to add info on your profile page.

Hi Jules

I am sorry it took me so long to respond. Have not had internet. Here is my gofundme link. 

rq6k3-my-family-needs-your-help

There is still no donations and I don't know what to do anymore. It's been a whole month. Because of my autism/adhd I really freeze up when it comes to making connections of any kind. I don't have any social/community or family help or connections at all. Just a lot of Facebook friends I don't really know in real life. I can't even fill out government forms for help right and no social worker here to help me with anything. I don't think Mississippi has the resources that other states have. I am scared to death to even make a phone call. It took me months just to get my familys situation on gofundme. I'm so scared and depressed and I am sure there are probably other people out there a lot like myself. What do people like us do?? I see dogs and cats getting $1000's of dollars and I love animals but my heart cries out because it's so not fair! I don't think it's right that when you go to gofundme and all a person sees is the most popular fundraisers, and so they end up with even more help that they might not need as much as those of us who have absolutely nothing. Why don't they put people like us on their front page. Sorry for such a long reply but this has been weighing on me for a long time. Thank you

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

I’m sorry to hear of the difficulty and stress. Fundraising is often more difficult if you have a smaller network or less concrete connections, but it’s not impossible. The fact that you have Facebook friends is helpful! I recommend creating a sharing schedule to get over the hump of pushing your fundraiser out there. Every time you share, you increase the chances that someone who hasn’t seen your page might see it. 

You did do a good job on your fundraiser. The main suggestion I would make is to try to focus your fundraiser on something specific. In this case, it sounds like the car is the most pressing. I would try to write your story around that cause specifically, what it would mean to lose that vehicle, and how keeping your car might help you progress. I would also ask people to share your fundraiser with their network to spread the word to people they know. 

Check out this post for ideas on how to share your fundraiser effectively when you are reaching out to people: 

Check out this post on how to share on Facebook to maximize how many people see it: 

Userlevel 1

Hello I'm Jordan just making friends 

Join the discussion