Analytics for a fundraiser

• 5 July 2022
  • 9 replies

I am helping run a fundraising campaign that is performing very well. We have been able to invest in some advertising; we also have blogs and magazines writing about our cause. How would I find out which websites are bringing in the most donations? Is there a way I could have made each a unique donation link without inviting every person to manage the campaign? Or is this information all ready tracked and I just can’t figure out how to access it?

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Fantastic job on your fundraising effort so far @Angie Drake I’m sure some of the other members would love to hear about your strategy for getting your page in front of so many eyes!

GoFundMe doesn’t currently have built in link tracker. If you ever decide to fundraise again, or if you want to go back and change some of those links, you could try creating your own UTM codes to locate where your donors are coming from. I would search, “How to use UTM links” in a search engine to get an idea of how you can create and apply these to your marketing efforts. 

Thanks for the search term… I will definitely be utilizing UTM links on future projects!

As to strategy - it has a lot to do with the origins of the campaign itself - the owners of this ecotourism project have a compelling personal story and have made strong connections with their past clients (https://notyouraverageamerican.com/save-refugio-paz-de-las-aves/). Without that base, this campaign would be far more difficult. But because they have healthy relationships with past clients, we were able to use those connections to spread the word even further.

Of course, utilizing GFM’s update tool has been a huge help. In the updates, we highlight people who have shared in ways that we know has helped us get more donations (a blog post, a newsletter, reaching out to their client base, calling a birdwatching business that introduced them to this ecotourism project in the first place). This inspires people to figure out their own ways to share more that might make a difference. And we constantly ask people for their suggestions - and follow up on them as best we can. We do see an uptick in donations after an update.

We also make images with updated info for our social media pages:

And we post some of the best quotes from our donors. Like this one:

I hope this helps other campaigns meet their goals!

Angie

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Love this example @Angie Drake Every so often I may tag other members who are looking for advice to your comment here! I hope that’s okay. 

Of course. We are all in this together!

Fantastic job on your fundraising effort so far @Angie Drake I’m sure some of the other members would love to hear about your strategy for getting your page in front of so many eyes!

GoFundMe doesn’t currently have built in link tracker. If you ever decide to fundraise again, or if you want to go back and change some of those links, you could try creating your own UTM codes to locate where your donors are coming from. I would search, “How to use UTM links” in a search engine to get an idea of how you can create and apply these to your marketing efforts. 

First of all, @Angie Drake, great job.

@Jules - How would having UTM codes help in this case if you can’t track them through any type of GoFundMe analytics/reporting?

Also curious why there is no reporting feature?

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

@Aumani Boutique You would have to be set up in Google Analytics to use UTM codes. I’ve also shared your feedback internally about wanting a feature that lets you see this type of information.  

@Aumani Boutique thanks so much! I enjoyed this campaign so much that I am working with another organization to help them raise funds. We’ve chosen a different outlet than GoFundMe for the new campaign and part of the reason is that we want the ability to track how people are learning about the campaign… the easiest way is know how they came to the website in the first place. Therefore, we’re going to use software embedded on the organization’s WordPress website. Please feel free to reach out if you have any questions. (angie at notyouraverageamerican dot com). (PS - I love GoFundMe and it is the right choice for most small fundraisers!)

Hi @Angie Drake 

I see.  Are you using a version of a dynamic URL rewriter?

For example, you set www.mysite.com/LP1?utm_campaign=xxx&utm_source=yyy → redirects to → gofundme.com/mycampaign ? 

If that’s how you’re doing it, curious about what plugin or method you’re doing using for that, please?

I’ve been struggling with this for some time (also on WordPress) and not all rewrite plugins give you this feature, and must provide this feature to record the analytics data as 301 redirects are not tracked.

@Aumani Boutique We're going to use a paid plug-in… but it makes sense for this client as they will host multiple fundraisers in a single year. For one fundraiser, it likely would not be worth the investment. 

Join the discussion