Solved

Is this fishy?

Userlevel 3
Badge

I received a message on a social media platform this morning about my fundraiser and I was told that they would cover the whole amount, but I have to cover the transfer fee. Is this normal when dealing with the larger amounts like this or is this person just trying to scam me?

And another guy this morning messaged me and said to cut my hair, the more the higher the donation. Or shave one side of my head or undershave the back of my head or whatever that is called. I told him I will see about that. I think its just to get me to do something ridiculous and then nothing. But is that normal too?

icon

Best answer by Cris 4 November 2021, 15:01

View original

13 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +4

Hi Nikki– offhand those both sound fishy to me and I wouldn’t recommend responding to them. Personally, I don’t respond to private messages on social media from anyone I don’t know.

Here’s a Help Center article talking more about scams, which might help. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

I received a message on a social media platform this morning about my fundraiser and I was told that they would cover the whole amount, but I have to cover the transfer fee. Is this normal when dealing with the larger amounts like this or is this person just trying to scam me?

And another guy this morning messaged me and said to cut my hair, the more the higher the donation. Or shave one side of my head or undershave the back of my head or whatever that is called. I told him I will see about that. I think its just to get me to do something ridiculous and then nothing. But is that normal too?

Wow im sorry this is happening to you i would block both if it sounds to good to be true it usually is 

Hello,

Thats what scares me about these things, scams that will get me to give out my account number or information. But I am desperate at this point.  What can I look for with scams??

Michele McWilliams

gina and patrick shields? Had the same thing last.  Asked I pay transfer fees and they’ll cover the whole amount.  Asked to FaceTime or schedule a FaceTime and got crickets

Yes I had the same thing pop up on Twitter with Gina and Patrick Shields! I thought why not email them, but I was also asked to pay a “transfer fee” which there is NO WAY I will do that. So sad, this is a scam I feel….heart broken that someone would do that.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

@Michele McWilliams The Help Center article Cris mentioned above will help guide you on what to look out for when it comes to scams: https://support.gofundme.com/hc/en-us/articles/360036516332-Recognizing-common-online-fraud-schemes-and-suspicious-emails- 

This same thing happened to me.  I came on this platform for something extremely serious and devastating. In true hopes someone could help me. For someone to contact me and pretend to be a God fearing person. I just cannot believe anyone could be this hateful I even sent photos of how bad this situation is and scared I am that if I don't do something in time that he will literally take her life. I've contacted  the police but the reality is she has to report but her fear is they come and because of who he is they do nothing and when the door closes that will be it or they arrest him and with out anyway to escape he will find her and that will be the end ..  I explained my fear. I even posted it on Twitter and took it down like 2hrs late at first because I was scared what if he see it.  How can anyone try to take advantage of a situation so damn horrible.  All I can do is pray they get help. And attempt to not allow them to bring any more. Anger and pain into my heart

Userlevel 2

Yes I had the same thing pop up on Twitter with Gina and Patrick Shields! I thought why not email them, but I was also asked to pay a “transfer fee” which there is NO WAY I will do that. So sad, this is a scam I feel….heart broken that someone would do that.

Yup, I just got contacted by them as well. It’s sad that people will do this type of stuff. Imagine how low you have to be to try to scam people out of money that are already having money problems.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

@Jason Norris  Is the message public that you’re referring to? Can you link me to it if it is? 

Userlevel 2

They are still at it. They acted as if they really cared and wanted to pay it forwarded. They are using Twitter to reach out now. They said they would transfer money but we needed to pay the $37.00 fee as they won’t donate directly to GoFundMe as THEY were taken advantage of by people. When I told them good news, they could transfer the funds directly to the vet hospital and get receipts for taxes and see the care invoices, they asked for my PayPal account. 

gina and patrick shields? Had the same thing last.  Asked I pay transfer fees and they’ll cover the whole amount.  Asked to FaceTime or schedule a FaceTime and got crickets

same people here.

They are still at it. They acted as if they really cared and wanted to pay it forwarded. They are using Twitter to reach out now. They said they would transfer money but we needed to pay the $37.00 fee as they won’t donate directly to GoFundMe as THEY were taken advantage of by people. When I told them good news, they could transfer the funds directly to the vet hospital and get receipts for taxes and see the care invoices, they asked for my PayPal account. 

Same thing they did to me. They're still at it. They just contacted me yesterday on my Twitter account. It's sad I am terminally ill asking for help for funeral cost and my daughter and they are trying to scam me. These people have no hearts.

Same thing they did to me. They're still at it. They just contacted me yesterday on my Twitter account. It's sad I am terminally ill asking for help for funeral cost and my daughter and they are trying to scam me. These people have no hearts.

Join the discussion