Common questions about fundraising on GoFundMe

• 7 January 2022
  • 54 replies
Common questions about fundraising on GoFundMe
Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Hi all! We noticed some common questions about how fundraising works on GoFundMe. So we gathered a few to chat about. Let’s dive in.

How does crowdfunding work?

Crowdfunding is when donors give money to help a fundraiser reach its goal. But here’s the important part– you need to share your fundraiser in order for it to work. 

How do I get my fundraiser noticed?

The most common way to get the word out about your GoFundMe is usually by sharing it on social media. Here’s a few easy tips that can go a long way: 

– Do personal outreaches first It can be really helpful to spend some time and reach out to your close contacts first before sharing it with other people. Having even one or two donations before posting to social media helps build trust and shows momentum.

– Share more than just your link. When you do share on social media sites, remember to add context! Just sharing your link without telling people anything about it tends to not be as successful. Rather than just saying “please help”, try explaining about your cause and why it’s important to you.

Once my fundraiser is “live,” will strangers see it and donate? 

Realistically, probably not. While sometimes people online might stumble across a fundraiser and give money to it, this is pretty unlikely if you haven’t shared and built initial momentum. 

Most of the time, the donations you raise come from people you already know in your network of family and friends. Sometimes, a fundraiser will go “viral” by getting noticed in the press or by a public figure, but it’s fairly rare. That’s why it’s so important to share your fundraiser

Can I raise donations anonymously?

We don’t really recommend it. It’s important for people to know who is running a fundraiser because donations usually come from people you know. We encourage mentioning these points in your story to help build trust:

– Who you are and what you’re raising money for

– How exactly the donations will be used 

– How the donations will reach the person you’re raising money for

The most common reason we see for people wanting to raise anonymously is because they’re embarrassed to ask for help. But we’ve seen time and time again that people’s communities surprise them– people are rarely judging us as much as we fear! If you’re nervous, reaching out to close friends personally first can sometimes help it not feel like such a big jump.

How do I get my fundraiser featured on the homepage?

The fundraisers on the GoFundMe homepage are automatically selected based on how many people are sharing and viewing those fundraisers. For the best chance of appearing on the homepage, we encourage focusing on sharing your fundraiser with your personal network of family and friends to gain momentum.

What if I don’t use social media?

A lot of people feel lost about where to start if they don’t use social media. Don’t worry—there are still plenty of ways to share your fundraiser with your community.You can reach people through email, printing out flyers, or phone calls. If someone you know has social media, ask them to share your fundraiser with their network to bring more attention to your cause. Learn more about how to get noticed without social media.

Looking for more information? Check out these posts:

– How GoFundMe Works

– How do you ask people to share your GoFundMe? 

– How to raise your first donations

54 replies

Userlevel 3

I feel embarrassed asking for help people like to judge you because they’re clueless to what struggles some of us faces in our daily lives.

Userlevel 3

It is definitely hard to ask someone for help.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

It’s definitely not easy @Plane Jane   Asking for help requires a lot of vulnerability. To help you overcome them, I recommend checking out our new post.

Userlevel 4

Honestly i too was embarrassed at first, Its one that puts the boundaries on ourselves to not mess with one’s reputation, worrying about what others are  going to say, think and talk to put you down. The fear of getting judged, we all go through our problems and we all need a lift in times like these where we can move foward. Its something we all go through in life unfortunately. Theres no one in this world who hasnt fallen or needed help in their liftime . Theres a lot of generouse people out there that help because they know what it feels when your in need of help. I started a gofundme recently and I appreciate the help, no matter the quantity but the love that humanity shows, theres hope of people, its about patience and the people with good hearts helping you to lift us up!

Userlevel 4
Badge

I really don't like asking for help. Most of my family is judgemental and makes me uncomfortable. But I don't know what else to do. 

That sounds about right Alex, I really hope 🙏 it works out for us all #Faith

Userlevel 4
Badge

It’s hard when you have no parents, friends and no social media to help this fundraiser but I’m hoping for the best 

Thats all you can do Jone #Hope for the best 👌 

Userlevel 4
Badge

Everyone we are in this together join together with faith hope and gratitude 🙏.  I have family that wants to see me fail. That want me to ask for help. That want me to put my business out just so they can talk about me. So I give them no satisfaction. I find it better to speak to complete strangers so I want be judged. #Smilefree together 

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Hey @Edgar Filomeno please don’t give up yet. There’s other ways to raise money outside of social media. Have you tried asking any friends or family members to help share your page with everyone they know? Here's a few recent discussions that might also spark some ideas about other ways to get the word out:

* How to get noticed without social media

* How do you ask people to share your GoFundMe?

* Other ways to share

Userlevel 2

nothing for 2 days not even a replay 

I know, I see posts getting help after a day or less.

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

@Kimberly Fisher just to confirm, are you sharing your fundraiser? With crowdfunding, most of the donations usually from people you know by sharing it with them. 

Userlevel 2
Badge

I feel embarrassed asking for help people like to judge you because they’re clueless to what struggles some of us faces in our daily lives.

This is my issue. I'm getting emotional 😢 thinking about it. My mother doesn't come see me, how can I tell her about my problem. #lostforwords

Praying that you get donations you need to help you out or someone you know. Thank you for putting yourself out there. You are not alone. God bless

Userlevel 2
Badge

I really don't like asking for help. Most of my family is judgemental and makes me uncomfortable. But I don't know what else to do. 

That sounds about right Alex, I really hope 🙏 it works out for us all #Faith

Praying that you get donations you need to help you out or someone you know. Thank you for putting yourself out there. You are not alone. God bless

Userlevel 2

I agree. I have known of gofundme for a long time. Just set up a personal fundraiser 2 days ago. First time. I have gotten a few contributions. They are supporting all my work on a local FB group. I appreciate the donations, and can use them, but I still feel like some people might think I am a loser or greedy.

Userlevel 2

I posted mine a few days ago and NO one has seen it. No replay either. I thought people got help on here.

Have you posted the link to social media? Thats where I got every single donation.

Userlevel 2

It’s hard when you have no parents, friends and no social media to help this fundraiser but I’m hoping for the best 

Thats all you can do Jone #Hope for the best 👌 

I’m right there with ya

I think you should make social media accounts. Add people you know personally. This would give you a much better chance than just hoping someone sees this. 

Userlevel 1

be honest, direct, & right to the point, with your request, & what’s the money for.  make yourself sound just like the average folk, just wanting to chase the american dream… i want to open up a t-shirt business, to display my art & hopes to expand enough to hire folks. . i can do so much good to society when i can contribute my worth, my love, my art. the world,  we  all have things in common, we all want to be. to feel good. live the american dream, we got to hepl each other. “power to the people, f that, People are the power” 

I agree. I have known of gofundme for a long time. Just set up a personal fundraiser 2 days ago. First time. I have gotten a few contributions. They are supporting all my work on a local FB group. I appreciate the donations, and can use them, but I still feel like some people might think I am a loser or greedy.

I definitely feel the same way :( this year has been so rough I’m finally to the point where we are getting evicted in 9 days and I too feel embarrassed but I have been posting my link as much as I can I did get 1’donation so far. So grateful I cried

Me as a person, i have always been afraid of asking for help. being seen as weak and vulnerable, But once my dog got sick (Im still raising money for her treatments) I knew i had to. I Knew at that moment it was time for me to stop hiding in fear of being judged and to save my best friend . 

I feel so embarrassed about my fundraiser asking for money to buy a home especially when there are so many other issues in the world. This house has just been a huge part of my life and my family’s heritage for the last 100ish years. I would like feedback on how my fundraising page looks, if my communication or updates are attention getting. Does my fundraiser seem shallow? I have had it up for months and now I am down to the wire so I am trying to figure out why I am not having any success, since I have been sharing. https://gofund.me/a7c92873

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

@KaycieNewbie that doesn’t seem shallow at all! I took a look at the page and would suggest a few things:

• Your goal amount is really high which can be intimidating to donors - perhaps lowering it to something more attainable in the beginning would be better? 
  • Adding some photos of you and your family could make the page feel more personal to potential donors. Adding some emotion and a bit more background detail might help, too! You can learn more about what to include in your story in our post here: 
  • Do you have a few friends or other family members who could help share your fundraiser? Having a ‘team’ of sorts could help to spread the word outside of your own community, which can really help.
Userlevel 1
Badge

I’m not sure if this is the right place to post, but anyway here it goes. This is my first GoFundMe. I was really embarrassed. But, once I shared and received my donations, it meant the world to me and my daughter. Now I’m waiting to hear from someone about my funds. 

Userlevel 1
Badge

basic question how long take to go live..

people keeps asking me  what to help me..

Userlevel 1
Badge

I definitely feel the same way 😞 this year has been so rough I’m finally to the point where we are getting evicted in 9 days and I too feel embarrassed but I have been posting my link as much as I can I did get 1’donation so far. So grateful I cried

is not easy. but at this point I'm really desperate

Userlevel 1
Badge

I posted mine a few days ago and NO one has seen it. No replay either. I thought people got help on here.

Have you posted the link to social media? Thats where I got every single donation.

me too how long take to go “live” or been active?

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

@Ivo Villegas your fundraiser is technically already live, you’ll just need to share it with your community of friends and family in order for it to be seen. With crowdfunding, most of the donations will usually come from people you know, so it’s really important to share it as much as possible. 

Join the discussion