Common questions about fundraising on GoFundMe

• 7 January 2022
  • 54 replies
Common questions about fundraising on GoFundMe
Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Hi all! We noticed some common questions about how fundraising works on GoFundMe. So we gathered a few to chat about. Let’s dive in.

How does crowdfunding work?

Crowdfunding is when donors give money to help a fundraiser reach its goal. But here’s the important part– you need to share your fundraiser in order for it to work. 

How do I get my fundraiser noticed?

The most common way to get the word out about your GoFundMe is usually by sharing it on social media. Here’s a few easy tips that can go a long way: 

– Do personal outreaches first It can be really helpful to spend some time and reach out to your close contacts first before sharing it with other people. Having even one or two donations before posting to social media helps build trust and shows momentum.

– Share more than just your link. When you do share on social media sites, remember to add context! Just sharing your link without telling people anything about it tends to not be as successful. Rather than just saying “please help”, try explaining about your cause and why it’s important to you.

Once my fundraiser is “live,” will strangers see it and donate? 

Realistically, probably not. While sometimes people online might stumble across a fundraiser and give money to it, this is pretty unlikely if you haven’t shared and built initial momentum. 

Most of the time, the donations you raise come from people you already know in your network of family and friends. Sometimes, a fundraiser will go “viral” by getting noticed in the press or by a public figure, but it’s fairly rare. That’s why it’s so important to share your fundraiser

Can I raise donations anonymously?

We don’t really recommend it. It’s important for people to know who is running a fundraiser because donations usually come from people you know. We encourage mentioning these points in your story to help build trust:

– Who you are and what you’re raising money for

– How exactly the donations will be used 

– How the donations will reach the person you’re raising money for

The most common reason we see for people wanting to raise anonymously is because they’re embarrassed to ask for help. But we’ve seen time and time again that people’s communities surprise them– people are rarely judging us as much as we fear! If you’re nervous, reaching out to close friends personally first can sometimes help it not feel like such a big jump.

How do I get my fundraiser featured on the homepage?

The fundraisers on the GoFundMe homepage are automatically selected based on how many people are sharing and viewing those fundraisers. For the best chance of appearing on the homepage, we encourage focusing on sharing your fundraiser with your personal network of family and friends to gain momentum.

What if I don’t use social media?

A lot of people feel lost about where to start if they don’t use social media. Don’t worry—there are still plenty of ways to share your fundraiser with your community.You can reach people through email, printing out flyers, or phone calls. If someone you know has social media, ask them to share your fundraiser with their network to bring more attention to your cause. Learn more about how to get noticed without social media.

Looking for more information? Check out these posts:

– How GoFundMe Works

– How do you ask people to share your GoFundMe? 

– How to raise your first donations

54 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

@Ivo Villegas your fundraiser is technically already live, you’ll just need to share it with your community of friends and family in order for it to be seen. With crowdfunding, most of the donations will usually come from people you know, so it’s really important to share it as much as possible. 

@Ivo Villegas your fundraiser is technically already live, you’ll just need to share it with your community of friends and family in order for it to be seen. With crowdfunding, most of the donations will usually come from people you know, so it’s really important to share it as much as possible. 

is been active as we speech.. thank you

Userlevel 1
Badge

I have received several notifications saying that more information is needed. The only thing is, I don’t have a clue what that information is. I haven’t  received any specific information about my GoFundMe only articles. Help somebody. I am the organizer and beneficiary because my daughter is mentally disabled.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Is there any other way to receive funds besides a bank account? Has anyone ever received a paper check?

Userlevel 1
Badge

is been active as we speech.. thank you

and now is been block to verify authenticity… for real?!!

what do i need to do now?. i cannot transfer the found to buy the tickets. every day counts against our wallets and we are not getting extra money? 

we really need this funds ASAP

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

Hi @Miranda Smith I’m sorry your fundraiser ended up back in review, it looks like this was an automated system that got tripped. I can confirm that it is clear again and you should be all set to withdraw. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

Hi @Ivo Villegas I’m so sorry for what your family has been going through. It looks like your review is now complete and you should be all set to start a bank transfer. Wishing you all a very safe journey. 

Good evening ! Just wondering what other ways can I boost my GoFundMe me without social media? Also any tips or anything to verify my account so people don’t think it’s a fake? Thanks 

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Hey @AshD I recommend that you check out this article below. 

Honestly I'm very embarrassed at doing this asking for help, but only God knows how much i need it atm,i am sharing on social media, and people are jus reading n not replying or anything, my family don't stand with me cuz i marry someone from a different race, however hopefully i will be able to raise some funds 💗

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

Don't be afraid to ask questions. Don't be afraid to ask for help when you need it. I do that every day. Asking for help isn't a sign of weakness, it's a sign of strength. It shows you have the courage to admit when you don't know something, and to learn something new.

I feel embarrassed and ashamed asking for help people like to judge you with no clue of what struggles some of us faces in our lives. I have shared on Facebook, TikTok, instagrams and YouTube still know one will help me like what I’m doing wrong. I was homeless with my 3 children before this was the most heartbreaking thing I ever been through in my life. so I promise myself to never let this happen to me and my children  again but now I’m on my way to homeless again because my family got sick 

God Bless You All

I’m too embarrassed to ask for help from friends and family so I thought I would try out go fund me but I noticed you only get donations by sharing with your social networks or friends is there anyway to ask for help from people you don’t personally know?

How do I start to raise money I have not gotten any donations yet and am worried😟

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

@Cory Bowles With crowdfunding, the people you know, and the people your friends know, usually band together to help you with your cause. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

@Jeremy Jardines To start fundraising, you will want to reach out to people close to you and see if they would be interested in supporting your cause. Once you’ve gained a couple of people’s support, you can ask them to help you spread your page further, and on a regular basis to the people they know.  

I feel embarrassed asking for help people like to judge you because they’re clueless to what struggles some of us faces in our daily lives.

Exactly how I feel also.  I've always been one to be able to do for myself and other ppl so it's really hard to have to ask for help.  Life is tough and sometimes we all need to learn to swallow our pride I guess. Speaking for myself.  I have been very humbled by the support I have received and ppl that reach out to check on me even if they can't donate.  Everyone is going thru something. Good luck to u and I seriously hope things get easier in ur struggle. 

Perhaps someone can help 

I added a Team Member, which got deleted.  We want to add them back and it won’t work now.  The e-mail link is not sent.  Trying the copy link and it just opens a blank GoFundMe page.

Seem to only be the case with the person who was deleted.

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

Hi @CCI FUND – this sounds like something our Customer Care team might need to give you a hand with. I’ll go ahead and open an email ticket for you and they’ll reach out to you soon. 

Userlevel 1

Don’t give up hope honesty it’s taken us a few months to get 1/6th of the way to our goal but it’s honestly further than I ever expected us to get at all. 
Definitely ask your friends and family to share. Send the link via email, text, and social media. 
Your cause matters to someone don’t for get that.

It is definitely hard to ask someone for help.

It says to ask friends and family...and it's like my family is toxic so they a no go....then friends? Psh. The information GoFundMe posted doesn't actually give us helpful advice.

Can someone use GoFundMe to raise funds to defend against a harassment restraining order? The ToS isn’t quite clear saying “… crimes associated with XYZ” as a harassment restraining order isn’t criminal. 

Can someone use GoFundMe to raise funds to defend against a harassment restraining order? The ToS isn’t quite clear saying “… crimes associated with XYZ” as a harassment restraining order isn’t criminal. 

Can't it just be said that the fundraiser is to raise money for legal support and then just give the basic information but not too much. Like you're raising money to help with the legal process to defend yourself against inappropriate accusations

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

@M2S thanks for checking! Yes, that’s within terms so you’re welcome to raise money for that.

I feel embarrassed asking for help people like to judge you because they’re clueless to what struggles some of us faces in our daily lives.

Exactly how I feel also.  I've always been one to be able to do for myself and other ppl so it's really hard to have to ask for help.  Life is tough and sometimes we all need to learn to swallow our pride I guess. Speaking for myself.  I have been very humbled by the support I have received and ppl that reach out to check on me even if they can't donate.  Everyone is going thru something. Good luck to u and I seriously hope things get easier in ur struggle. 

I feel the same way. My husband passed in May and the only emotional support I have had is from my husband's family. Only two of my family members even showed up for his celebration of life and we are all on the same town. I felt embarrassed to ask for help but so far it has been a good experience.

Join the discussion