How to raise your first donations

• 28 July 2022
  • 71 replies
How to raise your first donations

Show first post

71 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge

This has been very hard to process as I'm sure it is for others and I'm not getting anywhere with mine by posting them on fb or Twitter because people believe everyone's scamming out there and its hard and I have even been intimidated and a guy telling me to give him a screen shot of my bank account and I said my link has a way to directly send me a donation and he said I did not ask for that!  I thought this is a mess and I have no idea on what to do

Short term goals can motivate you through the fundraising process. A good starting point is to focus on raising your first three donations. Here’s some tactics that can help:

Choose 2-3 people to reach out to first

Think about the people in your life who you’re closest to and give them a heads up about your fundraiser before launching to the wider public. The best people to start with are usually family members, best friends, or someone you work closely with. 

Choose the best sharing method

Where do you normally talk to this person? Do you spend most of your time communicating through email, text message, social media, the phone, or face to face? Try to reach out to them in a way that’s typical for your relationship. 

Include a personal message with your fundraiser link

It’s a good idea to pair your fundraiser link with a message that encourages them to check out your fundraiser. Below we’ve included some strategies that you can try:

• Ask for feedback: Involve your friends by asking them to help you finalize your story.  By participating in the creation of your campaign, they’ll feel more connected to the success of your fundraiser.  Don’t forget to ask them to contribute after you’ve finished it. The first donations are usually the most important because they help build momentum on your campaign. 
  • Get specific: It helps to show how much a donation will positively improve your life.  For example, if you’re fundraising for bills, you might say something like, a $60 donation will help us pay for half of our electric bill. Breaking down what you’re fundraising for into smaller bite size pieces can help donors feel like they’re making an impact.
  • Give Options: Everybody’s financial situation is different. Let your friends know that sharing your fundraiser with their network can also make a big difference. If your friends have a small network, you can also request resources, tips, or connections. For example, if you need home repairs, maybe someone knows a contractor who does reasonably priced work. 
  • Show gratitude: Part of why people give back is because it feels good. When asking for money, it’s important to let them know how much their support means to you in your message.  

We’d love to hear from you. What message did you send to your closest relationships when promoting your fundraiser?  Do you have any wording that you can share with the community? 

(P.S. Please stay on topic with comments. Off-topic comments will be removed.)

Good guideline. Glad to join this conversation. I pray someone helps soon. Thanks

Userlevel 1
Badge

@Kevin Stolz You can share on Facebook, but filter out people who you don’t want to see your page. You can find this option when you go to create your post on Facebook.  

You can also share on Instagram by placing your fundraiser link in your bio and directing people there. 

So I did the Instagram idea and shared with limited people on Facebook, emails and WhatsApp Messages and no love.

Userlevel 1
Badge

@Kevin Stolz You can share on Facebook, but filter out people who you don’t want to see your page. You can find this option when you go to create your post on Facebook.  

You can also share on Instagram by placing your fundraiser link in your bio and directing people there. 

Did this and no love.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Hey @Kevin Stolz You may have to try sharing in different ways and at different times of day.  I’ll give you an example. When I was starting a club in my neighborhood, I would post once a week for months! Each time I included a different story or different types of media. For example, with each post try including new photos, or videos. Finally, I would try to encourage engagement from my network, since Facebook will surface posts to more accounts if more people see your stuff. Here’s a post that gives some ideas: 

Hello, I pray 🙏🏽 that every one of us reached our goals. 

I didn’t know you could filter our those you don’t want to see on facebook. Good advise!

I’ve never asked for assistance before, especially on social media. I’ve created my account 

but yet have to Share it! Just so hard to ask others for help, although I’m always there for others...

Thanks for the ideas 

Userlevel 1
Badge

I love the article it was very informative, although do you have any tips for someone who has no social media platform at all, doesn’t have family at all( it’s me and my 3 kids only) and doesn’t talk to anyone(due to my depression and social anxiety) ?

How do I share without feeling embarrassed? I hate when people know I'm struggling as I have always been looked at as the " one we don't need to worry" or " the one who is physically responsible"  but truly I brealy make ends meet. I hate letting people know I'm struggling. 

Userlevel 1
Badge

Yea I know it’s extremely hard but what makes it harder is I just don’t talk to anyone and the only family I had left who would always help me has passed since 2018 and since then it’s just been going down hill. I literally have no social media to promote on and even if I begin it’s new I don’t have a following. My landlord wants to kick me out I’m struggling to get a job and life just seems like it’s slipping downhill slowly. Thank you for your response though your awesome for helping☺️

Userlevel 1
Badge

It is an extremely hard thing to ask for help I wouldn’t also even know where to begin

Thank you for the advice, my first time using GoFundMe 

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

@Yemi We have some ideas which we’ve listed out in this article that you might find helpful. For example, you can print out flyers and post them around town.  

If you have immediate needs, it may make sense to check out local governmental resources to see if there’s help for people in your current position.  

Userlevel 1
Badge

Yea I’ve tried government applications for one shot deals but haven’t heard back from anyone yet. It’s hard these days everyone is going through a struggle so there are bigger waitlist

How do I share without feeling embarrassed? I hate when people know I'm struggling as I have always been looked at as the " one we don't need to worry" or " the one who is physically responsible"  but truly I brealy make ends meet. I hate letting people know I'm struggling. 

I am in the same exact boat. 

This was a good read!! Hope someone clicks and reads soon 💕 God bless

It sounds simple but in my case its kinda hard trying to communicate with via social media can’t seem to get no one to help me even SHARE THE POST…. Im just gonna continue to pray about the situation and let the good Lord work

Thank you guys because i

dont have anyone to turn to 🙏💙

Great advice, just joined so any advice is always appreciated! Glad to be here!

Thank you for this, this was very hard for us to even think about putting this together but we prayed on it and Gods will be done. 

Thank u for the helpful hints really appreciate this.

This has been very hard to process as I'm sure it is for others and I'm not getting anywhere with mine by posting them on fb or Twitter because people believe everyone's scamming out there and its hard and I have even been intimidated and a guy telling me to give him a screen shot of my bank account and I said my link has a way to directly send me a donation and he said I did not ask for that!  I thought this is a mess and I have no idea on what to do

i understand were u coming from sorry it very hard.

Thank you so much for this! I’m currently trying to raise money to get my achalasia surgery (my esophagus is closed like a bird beak and it makes it really hard for food to go down or stay down) since my insurance expired I’m paying out of pocket, and I need this surgery asap because I’m just skin and bones. So I’m working on trying things this way, thank you so much you don’t know how bad I need this advice.

Userlevel 1

helpful information!! thank you!!

Join the discussion