How to raise your first donations

• 28 July 2022
  • 71 replies
How to raise your first donations

Show first post

71 replies

As mine is a slow go I will try this. thank you

Userlevel 2

It's very hard for me to ask for money. I'm always giving to others . Never in my wildest dreams would have thought that I would be in the receiving end. So, I appreciate the advice. Sincerely thank you.

Certainly the love you’ve put out will come back to you. I never thought I’d be here myself!! Very happy to have this community available. 

Userlevel 1

Short term goals can motivate you through the fundraising process. A good starting point is to focus on raising your first three donations. Here’s some tactics that can help:

Choose 2-3 people to reach out to first

Think about the people in your life who you’re closest to and give them a heads up about your fundraiser before launching to the wider public. The best people to start with are usually family members, best friends, or someone you work closely with. 

Choose the best sharing method

Where do you normally talk to this person? Do you spend most of your time communicating through email, text message, social media, the phone, or face to face? Try to reach out to them in a way that’s typical for your relationship. 

Include a personal message with your fundraiser link

It’s a good idea to pair your fundraiser link with a message that encourages them to check out your fundraiser. Below we’ve included some strategies that you can try:

• Ask for feedback: Involve your friends by asking them to help you finalize your story.  By participating in the creation of your campaign, they’ll feel more connected to the success of your fundraiser.  Don’t forget to ask them to contribute after you’ve finished it. The first donations are usually the most important because they help build momentum on your campaign. 
  • Get specific: It helps to show how much a donation will positively improve your life.  For example, if you’re fundraising for bills, you might say something like, a $60 donation will help us pay for half of our electric bill. Breaking down what you’re fundraising for into smaller bite size pieces can help donors feel like they’re making an impact.
  • Give Options: Everybody’s financial situation is different. Let your friends know that sharing your fundraiser with their network can also make a big difference. If your friends have a small network, you can also request resources, tips, or connections. For example, if you need home repairs, maybe someone knows a contractor who does reasonably priced work. 
  • Show gratitude: Part of why people give back is because it feels good. When asking for money, it’s important to let them know how much their support means to you in your message.  

We’d love to hear from you. What message did you send to your closest relationships when promoting your fundraiser?  Do you have any wording that you can share with the community? 

(P.S. Please stay on topic with comments. Off-topic comments will be removed.)

These are all really good tips… especially the first one about selecting a few people who we’re really close to first… talking with them using normal means…and requesting their participation before launching public ally. Next time I start a campaign I will definitely use this strategy!!

Userlevel 1
Badge

Thanks for all these wonderful tips 

I have also never thought I would be in this position to have to ask for help. But with these new  heart problems I’m having come up I had no choice. It is a very scary and vulnerable time. But finally posted my first go fund me and hope it is successful. 

Userlevel 2
Badge

Thank you for all the advise. I hope and pray for a successful campaign with all using this platform

This was incredibly helpful! Thank you lot’s. 

Very helpful advice if I had people In my life that cared to help 🙏. My fundraiser is to help me with college and I still have not gotten any donations

I'm in the same boat as far as not having people that care to help. My younger sister has helped me out but, other than that, I've shared to social media looking for help with bills, then was in an accident and don't have a vehicle and considering I do handyman work, it's hard to get to places with tools to do any work. Now, after falling behind on everything else, I'm now without a home having lost my apartment. Trying to navigate my way through things while staying in my wrecked vehicle. However, I do agree it's good advise for those with supportive family and friends. I hope your luck improves and get some help for college, it's terrible that it's designed to start you out in debt. I'd consider studying abroad. 

Very helpful. Just not good at this and have a very hard time. This is not my strong suit because I just do not have a good network.

Thanks so much for the advice.  I really need the help.

I think it's defiantly hard when you don't have a lot of friends and people to help you share your cause  but its nice to see when some one helps 

Very helpful! Thank you so much 🙏

Thank you so much for your tips! Greatly appreciated them!

Userlevel 1

It's very hard for me to ask for money. I'm always giving to others . Never in my wildest dreams would have thought that I would be in the receiving end. So, I appreciate the advice. Sincerely thank you.

It’s hard for me to, I’ve given and given with no return support. I come from a community that is not so helpful, but I continue to post and pray.

i find starting a fundraiser is very diffcult i havent had any luck so far 

Userlevel 1

i find starting a fundraiser is very diffcult i havent had any luck so far 

Yes Sir it is. Neither have I. I don’t have a good support system.

Gratitude goes a long ways.. I have received 5 small donations that I am ever so greatful for.. if I had the time to stay on here to continue to share on every social media platform would probably be helpful but I just don't.. thank u for the help community

Userlevel 2

So I would contact family and freinds and then they would share your go fund me and then you could tweet your freinds could reach that way out 

Thank you so much for pointers because this nonresponse gets frustrated 

So my advice is If you are Successful in hitting your Goal and you happen to get more than you need use the rest to bless those in the Go fund Me Family.

You never know you might need help again

Badge

Hey thanks but extremely difficult when you don't have only one family member, & express gratitude & graceful for whomever donates, cause of being timid to ask for donations. When you not known in your own town!

I've shared with family and friends and posted online I still haven't got any help but I'm praying and keeping faith trying to find as much platforms as I can to post too. Trying to spread the word 

Join the discussion