What can I do if I do NOT have ANY kind of support system?

• 28 April 2022
  • 5 replies

I do mean that literally.

I have no family, last surviving member.

I have no close personal friends (you know the considerate selfless kind) 

And no real social media following. 

I never actually cared for social media. I pretty much avoided it. I never even had a Twitter account until the accident. 

Short version. I was a self employed pedicab driver(bicycle taxi) and that was the only job I truly loved doing. I was on my way home which is 2 miles from the downtown area I work in so I ride my bike n cart to and from. I get about a mile away from home and then I'm waking up in the hospital, with my spine completely fractured all up n down it. It was a hit and run. Apparently I was hit was hit hard enough that my cab and bike were completely destroyed and I was left in the road unconscious. 

I have no insurance, as I said no support network and now have a $20,000 hospital bill plus a $2,000 ambulance bill on top of losing my equipment.

So in 5 months of attempting to share my GoFundMe link I have had $0 donated. There's even a video in the link on my GoFundMe that shows even after a few months of sharing I don't even have a single comment asking if I'm okay. I have shared in FB, Twitter, telegram, Instagram to no avail. The only responses I get are those from scammers. Which I'm too smart to fall for but it still sucks because it's just false hope that's being given to me. 

In this time since this happen I've lost everything. I went from having a three bedroom lake house that I could easily afford on my own to now being nothing more than just a guy on a couch of someone else's place. I've been unable to work because for the longest time it was I barely able to even bend over the time my shoes. 

Before this happened I normally worked two to three jobs, happily. I was the kind of person who would always be there to help others, I have even literally given homeless people the shirt off my back and the last few dollars in my pocket on several occasions. But now that I'm in a time of need I've just been left forgotten. 

I don't know what to do. I don't know who to turn to because I don't have a circle, I don't have a social network. I'm pretty much running out of Hope and have long been at a point to where I really wish I didn't wake up in that hospital at all to begin with. I don't see what the point was. Everyday sense has been nothing but suffering and loneliness and just nothing.

So without having my own network of people that I can somewhat rely on what is it that I can do? Where is it that I can turn to at least just share my link and hope for something because I'm lost. 

I have never needed to resort to ask each other for help. I was always the one to be the helper and if I was in a hard time I managed to just get things done myself. But I'm now at a point in my life where I feel utterly helpless and hopeless and it's killing me.. without the benefit of actually finishing the job. 

And I think it really kills me is the fact that it was a hit and run and they never got caught. So I have no one I can press charges against but on top of that I don't even know who did it. I could go to the store and be in line talking to somebody randomly and that could be the person who did it to me and I have no clue. 

So please without suggesting I turn to friends and family or social media in the general sense, can I be pointed in a specific direction/location/group that can provide the assistance I'm asking for and need? 

I'm honestly not expecting much hope from this but I don't know what else to do. 

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

I’m so sorry to hear about what’s going on,  @John Hammel. That’s a lot for one person to handle on their own. 

Crowdfunding as a tool usually works best when an individual is surrounded by a community of people who are willing (and able) to help. It’s not impossible to do it without a large network, but the network is how the word is spread about an event that effected an individual in the community. This is why some people seem to raise tons of money for similar causes of those who raise very little. 

In your case, I’m wondering I’m thinking it could be helpful for you to put up fundraiser flyers around the area that you were hit, or if you can call your local news to promote your fundraiser - sometimes they’ll put fundraiser link in their articles. In addition to this, do you have any acquaintances you can contact? You don’t necessarily need to consider someone a close friend to get help. Even someone you have a relationship can make the difference if you can reach out to them and let them know your story and situation in life. 

I’m so sorry to hear about what’s going on,  @John Hammel. That’s a lot for one person to handle on their own. 

Crowdfunding as a tool usually works best when an individual is surrounded by a community of people who are willing (and able) to help. It’s not impossible to do it without a large network, but the network is how the word is spread about an event that effected an individual in the community. This is why some people seem to raise tons of money for similar causes of those who raise very little. 

In your case, I’m wondering I’m thinking it could be helpful for you to put up fundraiser flyers around the area that you were hit, or if you can call your local news to promote your fundraiser - sometimes they’ll put fundraiser link in their articles. In addition to this, do you have any acquaintances you can contact? You don’t necessarily need to consider someone a close friend to get help. Even someone you have a relationship can make the difference if you can reach out to them and let them know your story and situation in life. 

No, I have no one. And I live in a relatively small area.  I mean it's a city, but everyone knows everyone. And my situation has been known about. It's just that pretty much everybody is self-absorbed, and concerned with their own things more than anything else. As Ive said I myself was always the one who would go out of his way for others no problem, so it's not as If I'm some lowlife punk. 

The only reason I even was hit by the car was in direct relation to the fact that I had went out of my way to help someone. 

Normally on any given Friday night I am home by 2:30 ish. I make my money, or made my money providing rides to tourists from the hotels to the bars and restaurants and gathering spots around the area. 2:00 a.m. bars are closed so that's pretty much the end of business. 

Well someone came out the Maxines as they were closing and were talking about how their bag was stolen and in it were Thier cars keys. I heard them say they had the spare set at the house so I offered to give him a free ride there and back no charge just to help out. I only work within a mile radius but they were 3 mi away I didn't mind. Pedal 3 miles up 3 mi back drop them off they're good to go. It is now 4:00 a.m. while I'm on my way home and that is what put me in the location I was hit at the time I was hit. And that just happened to be the only area on the main Street where the camera for the traffic just happened to be out of order. And I was under no obligation to give them a ride, I was not part of the conversation I was on the sideline I heard it and I figured I'd step up. I have no regrets about helping them, but if I was just left and went home nothing would have happened to me. 

And trust me I have asked every possible person I could think of. And there have been four individuals who did help me with some spending cash for food, $20 here..$50 there... But that dried up months ago, right around the time I created my fundraiser link.  

And yeah the main thing that kills me is that maybe under a month ago I saw the news report about the couple and the homeless guy that had ended up doing a $400,000 scam via GoFundMe and that they were able to raise most of money within likes a months time or so. I have been longer I don't know, regardless of the timeline though it just really kills me that them running a scam was able to hundreds of thousands of dollars. Meanwhile despite the fact that I have the police report the hospital paperwork the ambulance bill photos I have not been able to gain a dollar. 

It really makes me wonder. I went on my way to help somebody and this is what happens to me. Then I'm just left to just suffer. To have days where I don't eat. Not a religious person but the idea that everything happens happens in accordance to God's will as part of his divine plan.. really makes me want to know exactly what was his plan for me and why? 

Sorry for the rant I'm just kind of feeling defeated,  utterly defeated.  

I've gone to random FB groups to share, only get scammers. I try on telegram and I get blocked or banned or put on a restriction where I can't do anything on the site. I don't know I don't know but I suppose I should shut up. 

Maybe I just wasn't meant for anything. It's really becoming the only thing that makes sense

Hi, I'm with John I've done everything but still no donations.  It's so hard I feel like giving up but I know lords timing it'll work out.  Praying day and night and in between.  I can't get my video to upload for some reason.  Is it legal to go to community Walmart and promote your fundraiser?  My children and I have 13 more days and here electricity has been off over a month it's so hot it just seems hopeless I don't understand why some are receiving so much support donations etc but some of us just nothing not even a hey is it going ok.  Please I'm begging help us I have videos of my children and myself how do I upload them please 

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Hey @Amy Standridge The fundraisers who raise a lot usually have a large community of people who help them spread the word. Without that, it can take a bit more leg work before hand to experience results. Creating a video is a great way to do that though! 

In order to upload a video, you’ll first need to make it public on YouTube or on Vimeo. Then you can embed the link on your GoFundMe profile. 

Because you have children, it’s worth looking into resources that your community offers for the time being. You might be able to find some sort of relief through government programs. 

And instead of standing in front of Walmart, I recommend hanging up flyers around your community. I would try to raise a couple of donations from your personal contacts first though if you can. Share your page via email, text message, and through social media.  

It's really hard out here these days 

Join the discussion