Emergency Vet Bills and Social Media

• 11 January 2022
  • 3 replies

Emergency Vet bills are super high for just two visits, and the vet required payment upfront (like, before they'd accept the cat as a patient). We luckily had a care credit card available, but also had to put a LOT of $ on our regular credit card and now have looming interest rates in our future. 

I started the GoFundMe to help handle these bills, but need a little help getting it out there. 

I don't want to hound the people who have already given, but I have a suspicion they're the only ones who see my posts in their feed. 

Advice for working the social media algorithms? 

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

I’m so glad you asked! There are definitely ways to use the “algorithms” to your advantage. May I ask what platforms you’re currently sharing to, and how many friends/followers you have there?

Facebook and Instagram have the most traction for me, but I also put it on Twitter and TikTok.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Great! With Facebook and Instagram specifically, what’s important is the engagement you get on your post. You can do this in a couple of ways:

1. Post commentary along with your link. Talk about why this cause means so much to you, and how much it would mean for people to check out your fundraiser.
  2. Include updates as your fundraiser goes on. Did you get your first donation? Talk about it when you share your fundraiser! Are you nearing 25% of your goal? If so, make sure you let people know. This helps to get repeat donors, as well as advertise your fundraiser in meaningful and exciting ways to your friends.
  3. You can try tagging friends or prompting them with a question to get them to comment on your post. Comments and reactions are a surefire way to get your page surfaced to more of your friend’s feeds.  
  4. Try to post new forms of content like video, or photos that aren’t on your fundraiser already.

If you give any of these strategies a try, please let the community know! We’d love to hear about what’s working and what’s not, so we can learn from your experience. 

Join the discussion