How do I get donations if I don’t know anyone?

How do I get donations if I don’t know anyone?
Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Fundraising through GoFundMe is a type of crowdfunding, which usually means that most people raise funds through their friends, family, and acquaintances.  However, there’s other ways to get people to support your cause if you don’t know anyone. It can be helpful to get creative with sharing, and to make sure your fundraiser is set up well.

Check out our post on how to write a fundraising story for more details on what to include. 

OK, so you’ve written your story - now what? 

1. Share your fundraiser on local bulletin boards or businesses in your area. You can do this by printing out a poster from your GoFundMe page. The flier will include a link to your fundraiser, so anyone who comes across it can navigate to your page. 

2. Make your own QR code and post it in places around your neighborhood. Learn how to create your own QR code in this Help Center article

3. Contact local media. If you can, try reaching out to your local news outlet to ask for some help from your community. Check out this blog post for more on this.

4. Network with other people. Get to know people in your community. Try to find people who can relate to your cause through events, Facebook, or Meetup groups in your area to see if you can find support there. 

5. Try hashtags. Some people follow hashtags, so using them can draw new people to your page. Check out this blog post for how to create a fundraiser hashtag that inspires donations.

6. Contact people you haven’t talked to in a while, like classmates, coworkers, or friends. 

7. Design t-shirts. For some fundraisers, it can make sense to create shirts that say something like “Ask me about my fundraiser” to open up the opportunity to have a conversation with a stranger about your cause. 

8. Reach out to organizations with similar causes to your own to see if they have resources for you, or if they can promote your page.

For more fundraising ideas, check out this blog post.

Any other ideas? Let us know in the comments below! 

(P.S. Please stay on topic with comments. Off-topic comments will be removed.)

31 replies

It’s gonna still hard to get the rest of the funds for me too. My mom and I are really trying to get the rest of the money by 19 June. For my robotics camp I really don’t want to stay Chicago for the summer it’s too dangerous here

I am so frustrated with gofundme. Some of the causes that seem to raise the most money are for  some lame reasons. There is one to set up someones retirement for 600K and in 4 DAYS they have received 594K. I need a double lung transplant, have had my page up 3 months, asking for 20K and have only gotten 3,200.  WHY ????  there are some really outrageous reasons people are using this and the fact that it works for them and not those of us that really need this!!  I have been in the local Paper, done the TV thing, got a local car dealer involved. Everyone says they are sharing this page all over but looking at the results I’m having I am doubting it. What else is there to do???

What if you live in a poor neighborhood filled with violence and no one responds to your post for help I've tried allot and I work full time plus some to provide for my family but no one seems to hear my cry so I just pray my wife health gets better and I find better work to provide for my family

I love those ideas! That will help us out a lot as we live in a small community and don’t know many people. I especially love the idea of printing a flyer with our link to post in businesses. Thank you for these tips! 

it’s such a good idea right! If anyone needs help I can ask my sister if I can post your flyers in her Starbucks!

I’m in the same boat. Don’t really know anyone anymore. Don’t use social media much and have no friends irl on there to share with. One of the things I’ve been trying, and maybe it will work, maybe it won’t, but I’ve been grabbing videos from Twitter and other places when a breaking news story comes out and uploading i.t. to YouTube. If I catch it soon enough, sometimes I’m the first person to get the video on to YouTube. And then I add a link to my go fund me in the description and put a little watermark on the video telling the viewer about my fundraising campaign. I’m definitely getting views, so at least that’s SOME exposure. I’ve only gotten a couple of donations though. But I just started it so, we’ll see. Thought I’d share.

Hello everyone my name is Veronica. I'm really shy when it comes to needing help. But I've everything I can think of just to get my first donation and no luck. What am I doing wrong?

Join the discussion