How do you ask people to share your GoFundMe?

• 26 October 2021
  • 32 replies
How do you ask people to share your GoFundMe?
Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Fundraiser shares are almost as important as the donations themselves, so we’ve listed some strategies to help you feel more confident when reaching out to your community for this type of support. 

Try asking for shares before asking for donations

It may be counterintuitive, but try switching your initial “ask” to a share request instead of a donation request.  

Studies on charitable giving show that the act of participating in a non-transactional way, like through volunteering, increases the likelihood of a donation. On a GoFundMe campaign, fundraiser shares are a great way to mimic the way “volunteering” can make people feel. 

The best part is, you could potentially raise 3x the amount of what you raised (on average), compared to people who don’t encourage sharing. 

Provide pre-written share messaging

Encourage your friends to include a little personal note along with their fundraiser share. This can help build empathy with their friends who might not know you directly. 

To help make it as easy as possible, you can provide your friends with messaging that they can either copy and paste, or copy and customize when promoting your GoFundMe to their own social media. 

End your share request with a little gratitude or personal touch

It’s a good idea to leave a little note of kindness at the end of your share request. Let people know that you still appreciate them for taking time from their busy day to read your request, and that you hope they’re doing well themselves.  Ending your request with a catch-up question like, “How was your summer by the way?” or “What did you think of the championship game?” can keep the conversation feeling personal, warm, and human. 

This sort of thing can take some of the pressure off of asking your network for help, and could potentially encourage someone to participate later on when they’re in a better position to do so. 

Have you shared someone else’s fundraiser before? What inspired you to spread the word?

32 replies

Fundraiser shares are almost as important as the donations themselves, so we’ve listed some strategies to help you feel more confident when reaching out to your community for this type of support. 

Try asking for shares before asking for donations

It may be counterintuitive, but try switching your initial “ask” to a share request instead of a donation request.  

Studies on charitable giving show that the act of participating in a non-transactional way, like through volunteering, increases the likelihood of a donation. On a GoFundMe campaign, fundraiser shares are a great way to mimic the way “volunteering” can make people feel. 

The best part is, you could potentially raise 3x the amount of what you raised (on average), compared to people who don’t encourage sharing. 

Provide pre-written share messaging

Encourage your friends to include a little personal note along with their fundraiser share. This can help build empathy with their friends who might not know you directly. 

To help make it as easy as possible, you can provide your friends with messaging that they can either copy and paste, or copy and customize when promoting your GoFundMe to their own social media. 

End your share request with a little gratitude or personal touch

It’s a good idea to leave a little note of kindness at the end of your share request. Let people know that you still appreciate them for taking time from their busy day to read your request, and that you hope they’re doing well themselves.  Ending your request with a catch-up question like, “How was your summer by the way?” or “What did you think of the championship game?” can keep the conversation feeling personal, warm, and human. 

This sort of thing can take some of the pressure off of asking your network for help, and could potentially encourage someone to participate later on when they’re in a better position to do so. 

Have you shared someone else’s fundraiser before? What inspired you to spread the word?

How do I start my go find me. I've never used this. Before. I did  my account information.an it ask me to start.with my friends and family. I hate to ask my family.  They never help. Anyone with ideas.       An topic.

Userlevel 2
Badge

Ive shared multiple different fundraisers! It does feel good!

Has anyone ran into some negative pushback? I’ve had multiple family members chastise me for making a gofundme. Saying: “This is embarrassing, you’re lazy, you’re begging, etc.” it’s quite devastating.

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

@Staci Lamb That’s really hard. There’s definitely some cultural stuff going on when people react negatively. I think it’s because they have their own issues about asking for help. It’s a vicious cycle and it’s a bummer to get caught in the cross hairs.  It may be an opportunity to talk to them if you can muster it and let them know that their words were not kind, if you found them hurtful. 

In the future, I may try to share more directly with people you know, if your network has mixed feelings about crowdfunding. 

Userlevel 2

I enjoy reading all the posts. Some have great tips and others despair 😩. To those in despair and distress, please do not give up. The heart will guide you. Listen to it. 

Thank you all for the great tips. Tough times for many and harder for most but I believe that things will work out. I started my gofundme in the necessity of having to pay for all the debt I acquired from paying dad's medical bill from some major surgeries. Although it was something I was more than glad to do it does put pressure on myself. Just like it was suggested I started reaching out and posting as much as I can but I think having someone to help share your cause, like suggested, is a awesome tip that will greatly expand your reach. Sometimes, it is true that those closest to you might not be able to donate but having them share can lead to better outcomes. I appreciate all the encouraging words and tips that this community provides. May everyone be blessed and wishing the best!

Join the discussion