How to raise your first donations

How to raise your first donations
Userlevel 7
Badge +8

At the start of your fundraising journey, short term goals can help motivate you towards your final fundraising goal. A good early goal is to focus on raising your first three donations. Here’s some key steps that can help:

1) Choose 2-3 people to reach out to first

After creating your fundraiser, think about the people in your life who you’re closest to. The best people to start with are usually family members, best friends, or someone you work closely with. Unlike sharing through social media, you’ll be able to tailor your message to the individual.

2) Choose the best sharing method

Where do you normally talk to this person? Do you spend most of your time communicating through email, text message, or on the phone? Are they a serious friend, a goofy friend, a dreamer? Craft a message that you think they’ll respond to depending on their personality, then try one of the following strategies below. If you use Facebook, check out some of these strategies to help create engagement, which will boost your page to more people. 

3) Messaging Strategies

Ask for feedback:

Before requesting a donation, try getting your friends involved by asking if they have some time to provide feedback on your fundraiser. 

This can give them a sense of ownership for your project. They might also catch things that could use clarifying before you share your page further. 

After you receive feedback, thank them and ask if they would be willing to donate to your cause or share your page. You can let them know that the first donations and shares are important to a fundraiser, since they help encourage others to participate. 

Be detailed with your request:

When you reach out to these close friends, it can help to be specific about how a contribution will affect your life.  

For example, if you’re fundraising for bills, you might say something like, a $60 donation will help cover half the cost of the electricity bill for the month.  Breaking down what you’re fundraising for into smaller bite size pieces can help donors feel like they’re making an impact.

Give Options:

Everybody’s financial situation is different. Let your friends know that although donations are appreciated, they can also share your fundraiser with their network to make a big difference. For friends with smaller networks, you can request resources, tips, or even introductions to people who can lend a hand to your situation. For example, if you need home repairs, maybe someone knows a contractor who does reasonably priced work. 

Polite follow up:

People can get busy and you may need to circle back if someone hasn’t responded to your message. When you follow up, try to adjust your messaging to keep it fresh.

For example, if your first message was requesting a donation, your follow up email could ask for a fundraiser share or advice instead. "Hey, I totally understand if you're not in a position to donate right now. If you're able to share my GoFundMe with people you know or offer any advice, it could be a huge help to me. Thanks so much.”

We’d love to hear from you. What message did you send to your closest relationships when promoting your fundraiser?  Do you have any wording that you can share with the community?

319 replies

I’m having the hardest time with getting donations, even though people swear that they love the work I’m doing. (Providing paid internships to disabled and disadvantaged individuals).

I have even proposed offering free professional services (I have my own IT company) in exchange for donations.

I’ll try the ‘Polite’ follow-up today and see what happens.

I’m honestly still torn between promoting my GoFundMe or deleting it. I hate asking for money period and I keep seeing ones for funeral expenses, medical bills, house fires, and such…all of which are more important than me hoping to get an ipad to continue pursuing digital art and character design (eventually hopefully leading into a career in game design).

I can’t ask people I know because they’re all struggling to get by financially and I don’t want to bother them. I figure I’ll just maybe leave my fundraiser open for a while and, if people donate, I’ll put it towards an ipad. If they don’t, I’ll eventually delete it.

I completely understand; I’m in a similar situation! Have you considered a secondhand/used iPad?

If finances are a challenge, the Goodwill has electronic sections for low cost equipment. I like to go to areas with higher income households and visit their local Goodwill store… you would be amazed at what affluent people will just donate.😉

Hi all! New here. Learning to get through my pride, being on the receiving end of fundraising.

What if we don’t know anyone who is able to donate?

Yes that's crazy we think of the one's that will help and don't but that's life I guess help comes from people you don't even know most of the time i had 2 donors 1 friend and 1 family member I guess I only have 2 people in my life that wanna see me win it's very sad and hard when u have zero help but to everyone on here looking for help including myself we will find it God always has our back stay safe and blessed my Bougi people 💓🥰

You could have NOT said this any better!! Strangers will help you before your friends and family and are much more supportive and encouraging!! It’s sad and very unfortunate. Praying for us all that God will continue to provide. 

What if we don’t know anyone who is able to donate?

I definitely need the answer to this question. Who are the people whom Donate?  Besides sharing it on your own personal platform/social media. 

How often do you update your gofundme fundraiser? Do I need to edit my gofundme funraiser?

How often do you update your gofundme fundraiser? Do I need to edit my gofundme funraiser?

Hello! No update is needed as it has been hours this was created. No need to “Edit”. I don’t understand how and where Donations come from? How do people give? What platform is used? Besides the people I invite from social media and or whom I reach out to. Are there others from the website who can see and Donate? 

I’m a very private person and normally don’t ask anyone for help, but my situation has opened up my eyes about life and just being human especially  when things are out of your control. I never thought that I would ever reach out to the public for help with my situation, but it’s a very humbling experience, and I’ve had a lot of love and support so far, It has also opened the door to reconciliation with people that I haven’t talked to in years, so I’m happy that I took this route, and I have no regrets.

Thank you for your response! However I’ve reached out on other occasions; My birthday and Baby Shower, not one person participated. Such as now! Not one contributor yet even the people I asked to share to their profile! I’m discouraged, disappointed and I give up. 

I keep reading posts of people reaching out to family and friends and being ignored. This is the same situation I am in. I am battling stage 2 laryngeal cancer and the drama that resulted from family letting me down had been just as bad as the cancer itself. 

Would anyone support another crowdfunding platform designed for strangers to help each other fund their needs, no matter how big or small? Some of us can't count on family and friends to help us. We need strangers but there is nothing out there that is set up for these situations.

I am thinking of a platform where people can somehow be donors themselves so when someone creates a campaign they automatically have access to a large pool of donors right there on the site to market their needs too.

I mean even if someone is financially bad they can still budget $5 every now and then to give back to others. Each person doesn't need to give a lot but if we all help each other with a little donation we each can help each other meet their needs.

Let me know your thoughts. I have some basic skills with building websites and think I can create something like this for all of us. 

Yes that's crazy we think of the one's that will help and don't but that's life I guess help comes from people you don't even know most of the time i had 2 donors 1 friend and 1 family member I guess I only have 2 people in my life that wanna see me win it's very sad and hard when u have zero help but to everyone on here looking for help including myself we will find it God always has our back stay safe and blessed my Bougi people 💓🥰

And You speak So truthfully Jacob help me and I don't know him my brother moved to Arizona leaving our building unattended need I say more 

I was told is I make a go fund me that they would help my family said this and no one have helped at all 

A requirement to get up to the public is we have to have two or three friends donate first I do not from here I don't have any friends or family here do the same thing but then the beginning are you serious

I don't have any friends or family here. I'm an only child and my parents passed away. My best friend has breast cancer and doesn't even know the things going on in my life. So yeah it really does happen.

Yeah it’s hard out here rn! I see a lot of you on here didn’t get any donations..same here I’ve got covid 19 but no way to pay my bills. You think they’d have a support system going for those who are sick. If I get my goal and over I’d bless others 

Hi everyone. I don’t really have fundraising advice since I only recently made one, but I’m hoping that everyone here will be able to reach their goals. It’s definitely hard to receive help now and things don’t look great at the moment, but we are capable of a lot and will find solutions. Please keep trying and doing your best and I hope everything goes well for you and the people you care about. We can do this!

I read alot of these comments and it's heartbreaking. If you don't have anyone to help you such as myself you are on your own. I really don't want to be homeless again.

At the start of your fundraising journey, short term goals can help motivate you towards your final fundraising goal. A good early goal is to focus on raising your first three donations. Here’s some key steps that can help:

1) Choose 2-3 people to reach out to first

After creating your fundraiser, think about the people in your life who you’re closest to. The best people to start with are usually family members, best friends, or someone you work closely with. Unlike sharing through social media, you’ll be able to tailor your message to the individual.

2) Choose the best sharing method

Where do you normally talk to this person? Do you spend most of your time communicating through email, text message, or on the phone? Are they a serious friend, a goofy friend, a dreamer? Craft a message that you think they’ll respond to depending on their personality, then try one of the following strategies below. If you use Facebook, check out some of these strategies to help create engagement, which will boost your page to more people. 

3) Messaging Strategies

Ask for feedback:

Before requesting a donation, try getting your friends involved by asking if they have some time to provide feedback on your fundraiser. 

This can give them a sense of ownership for your project. They might also catch things that could use clarifying before you share your page further. 

After you receive feedback, thank them and ask if they would be willing to donate to your cause or share your page. You can let them know that the first donations and shares are important to a fundraiser, since they help encourage others to participate. 

Be detailed with your request:

When you reach out to these close friends, it can help to be specific about how a contribution will affect your life.  

For example, if you’re fundraising for bills, you might say something like, a $60 donation will help cover half the cost of the electricity bill for the month.  Breaking down what you’re fundraising for into smaller bite size pieces can help donors feel like they’re making an impact.

Give Options:

Everybody’s financial situation is different. Let your friends know that although donations are appreciated, they can also share your fundraiser with their network to make a big difference. For friends with smaller networks, you can request resources, tips, or even introductions to people who can lend a hand to your situation. For example, if you need home repairs, maybe someone knows a contractor who does reasonably priced work. 

Polite follow up:

People can get busy and you may need to circle back if someone hasn’t responded to your message. When you follow up, try to adjust your messaging to keep it fresh.

For example, if your first message was requesting a donation, your follow up email could ask for a fundraiser share or advice instead. "Hey, I totally understand if you're not in a position to donate right now. If you're able to share my GoFundMe with people you know or offer any advice, it could be a huge help to me. Thanks so much.”

We’d love to hear from you. What message did you send to your closest relationships when promoting your fundraiser?  Do you have any wording that you can share with the community?

I just started a go fund me for college , this was helpful hopefully I get donations. 😊

I handle a lot on my own as a single parent … but it’s a pride , not pride in a negative way. How did any of you work through sharing your own go fund me for the world to see. And not be ashamed of it … I’m struggling with that . 
I put all my faith in God to provide and make a way for me … I feel like I’m not allowing for him to have his way. I feel like by doing this I’m still trying to take the wheel on life…..

Join the discussion