I am nervous with reaching out to family and friends for help with money related issues. Anyone else?

• 14 November 2021
  • 12 replies

Userlevel 2

Hi I am new here I really have no where else to turn but I have decided to start a go fund me to help us pay off our past debt before our second baby arrives next year. I am very anxious about this news and I am nervous with reaching out to family and friends for help with money related issues 

12 replies

Userlevel 1

Absolutely! I’m stretched so thin trying to keep my puppy alive. It’s very hard times. And I’m the one that always helps donations when others need it. But when it’s my turn. It seems like everyone steps away. :/ even kind words would help. But it’s like no one seems to budge. Where’s the care in the world anymore? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Getting vulnerable is hard! It’s one of the bravest things you can do, especially if you’re asking for help. But each time we do it and survive, we slowly change our culture, so we can all get more comfortable asking. From my personal experience, I’ve always felt closer to the person after learning what they’re going through, and relief after being able to help.  It’s often a very positive experience. 

Userlevel 1

I completely understand this. I recently had to move in the middle of my three year lease because my landlord sold it. The landlord being my pastor and friend I took the “L” and now I’m being hit with more on top of my plate. Most people don’t want to help because they themselves are down which I understand completely. I just don’t what else to do besides ask for help. 

Absolutely! I’m stretched so thin trying to keep my puppy alive. It’s very hard times. And I’m the one that always helps donations when others need it. But when it’s my turn. It seems like everyone steps away. :/ even kind words would help. But it’s like no one seems to budge. Where’s the care in the world anymore? 

I pray your circumstances do change and that you’re not overlooked. It’s usually the ones with the Golden heart.

I'm in the same boat, only person I had left besides my 3 kids were my sister and she passed away a month ago, now I have nowhere else to turn. Me and my 3 kids are completely homeless and I've been in and out the hospital dealing with my diabetes. I'm just about at the end of my rope!! Everything is so hard.

I made My account Today and I am Very Nervous about it. I'm not sure If I done everything right or not because I haven't had any donations yet. Any advice?

I completely understand how your feeling I can’t reach out to family at all for help. Let alone share it on social media. My mom and I recently got kicked out and my hours at work got cut due to slow times at the hotel I work at. My family would never understand they would think it’s ridiculous that I’m asking for help. But I honestly can’t make it own my own right now. I am so ashamed to even be in this situation.

I can relate to You in some many ways. The cancer that I have prevents me from working the place that I called My Home burnt to the ground  then this morning around 5:15am My Uncle found My Aunt after coming back from the bathroom She had passed away. She was sick for A long time and now I know that She is no longer suffering. My Family also feels the same way about Me getting on here but I had enough Traveling 2 and a half hours one way for Treatment, doing everything on My own Atleast trying to because I would Never reach out and ask for Help I find it Embarrassing and I know right now that Everyone is going through hard Time's I was shocked and Cried whenever I seen that 3 People donated to help me during these hard Time's. I am always here If you need someone to talk to I will listen and I do Understand... Keep Your Head Up 💜🙏

Me too right now im trying to get help for my transmission im only 19 and im trying to get my life together trying to get the highest paying job ive ever had in my life and im tryna get the money i need to fix my car but dont think ill get any help

I understand your apprehension regarding involving family and friends with personal hardships, I'm there myself as well. My advice to you is, don't be shy with reaching out to the community in your area. While they are hard to find at times, there are some really great people out there wanting and waiting to help, keep your eyes out for these people in your area. Try your local churches. If they can't personally help you, ask for a referral if someone who maybe can help. You can also try getting on Instagram, or Twitter, telegram, or TikTok. Set up a separate account that isn't so personal about you so it's not so obvious if family or friends get it on their feed somehow. My heart goes out to you dear, I really hope everything works out for the best in your situation. 

I am also very nervous about this. My own mother turned us away when we came to her for help. She wouldn't even do it herself. She sent my stepfather out to tell us we could not come in and that I should just give my kids up to foster care and get my shit together. They have been raising one of my kids as if he is their own son and ever since he's been with them my other kids and I have been welcome. They are very well off and could easily help me get on my feet so that I could take care of all of my children. So I don't understand why they are acting this way. They call it tough love but it feels like no love to me. If they see things this way I wonder how the rest of my family and friends will react if I ask them for help. It's so humiliating and degrading to be judged for being a failure at life and not being able to take care of your own children. I also worry that someone might want to report me to some kind of child welfare agency and try to take my son away from me. I don't think my kids should be taken away just because I'm poor. I know I'll get past this eventually and have a home and a business again and be able to provide for them like I did before all this. It would be nice to get help instead of judgement and criticism. This could happen to anyone these days but when it's not you it's happening to it's easy to pass judgement and place blame. I wonder if I'm  just going to get more problems by letting everyone know what kind of problems I'm having now. Does anyone feel the same or have any advice?

Hi,

I am also having a hard time asking for help, I sent one email to a good friend but I asked him not to donate because he has been helping me, taking me to the store to get groceries and getting my perscriptions for me when I couldn’t walk at all.

Everyday is another email of bad news and I feel like the financial noose is tightening around my neck. I have medical bills and have maxed out my credit cards. I’m having problems with my disability claims and I am still having trouble walking. I am looking for a job, but with my limited mobility and my inability to stand for any length of time, it seriously limits the type of jobs I can take.

I still need more physical therapy but I can’t afford it. The stress is overwhelming.

Join the discussion