Why is trading links against the rules?

• 26 January 2022
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge

I have posted several times encouraging sharing links between members.  This effort has been blocked by Gofundme. This is not asking for shares! This is trading shares. Why is this against the rules? I thought the whole point of Gofundme was to work in "teams" for "campaigns". Please explain yourselves?

3 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +4

Hi Terry, thanks for this question. We do consider this to be effectively the same thing as asking for shares/donations, and it typically is a way that people attempt to get around that guideline. Basically, setting it up as mutual shares doesn’t change that we see it as a share request. I don’t see us shifting this policy at this time, but we appreciate the feedback.

Backing up a bit – a big reason why we don’t allow posts asking for shares or donations is because it would end up just flooding the entire community with nothing but that– it would basically look like spam and not be valuable to most people. On top of this, there just aren’t really donors in the community forum, so this space is really more focused on connecting with other organizers and learning tips and skills for how to best get your fundraiser out there.

Hope this helps give a bit of context, and thanks for being a member of the community.

Userlevel 3
Badge

Thank you for the prompt response Chris. Your doing a great job.

I think it would be a good idea for Gofundme to provide a community page "specifically designed" for team members to evolve by allowing these conversations to take place separately from the community page in question.

My reasoning is that these forum rules might be literally causing "bottlenecks" and stopping would-be donations from existing in the first place. Less donations, less PR power, less money being handled.

IDK I think the logic behind "a clean look" is throwing money away. I hope they can give thought to my idea. 

Thank you for your attention. 

Userlevel 1
Badge

I appreciate just the fact that maybe just maybe the one person or many people will reach out a helping hand if they are able to. Be patient God doesn’t give up on us and I pray that you don’t either as I know that I don’t have a choice but to believe in his grace and our community full of love for us. Thank you for holding on. We all matter! Take care and I will be praying for you also. Glenda Rainone 

Join the discussion